Provisional Driver Insurance

Options
What, in your opinion, is the most cost effective way of insuring my 21 year-old son to use my car before his test?

I would like to let him use my car for two months experience before he takes his test. He has had a full set of lessons with BSM and is ready now to build up his road sense but I don't know if it would be cheaper to name him as a driver on my insurance for £75 a month, or think of the long term and get him his own insurance to be building up his own no claims (hopefully!)

I might add, he is a responsible and cautious driver, but I am his Mum and would say that wouldn't I.

Comments

• morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    is your quoted £75 a month quote for adding him to your insurance as a named driver definitely considering he is a provisional learner? I'm just asking because my mum was surprised at how cheap it was to add me to her insurnace while I was just a learner - because the learner will always be supervised by another experienced driver. I can't remember how much extra it was exactly but I feel it was more the order of £100 a year.

When you say
    think of the long term and get him his own insurance to be building up his own no claims (hopefully!)
    Do you mean that you would put him as the main driver on your insurance? If so, this might not be allowed if you are the owner of the car and he is just provisional. After he's passed, the cost could be sky-high depending on what kind of car it is. And remember, if he's the main driver then you're not, and so you could lose your no claims ..

If I were you I would just add him as a named driver for now (hopefully it'll only be for a few months, even if it is £75 a month), and then once he's passed, take stock and consider the situation. Him having his own car could be an option for building up his no claims but it will be expensive for at least 5 years probably.
    Also remember - £75 a month would pay for 3-4 extra driving lessons, is he definitely going to use your car this much, might be better to use the money to pay for a few more driving lessons. It can be confusing to be switching cars between the BSM car and your car while learning.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i would say get their own car, and start building up own no claims.

its actually cheaper to get car insurance in your sons name, whilst still learning, than to get insurance once he has passed his test, because as said above, you are deemd as less of a risk as a learner, because you have to be supervised.

then add youself to your sons policy as a named driver, again due to having an experienced driver on the policy, will bring premiums down

hth Flea
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Inga wrote: »
    I might add, he is a responsible and cautious driver, but I am his Mum and would say that wouldn't I.

Thats completly irellevent ;)

He is the biggest risk on the road (or he will be once he passes)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure