Sony USA vs UK rippoff pricing

Options

Comments

• cardinalbiggles
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Don't forget that Macdonalds, Burger King and KFC all charge less in the US.

Not true. McDonalds is cheaper in the UK than the US for most things nowadays.
  • cardinalbiggles
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    I travel to the US each year and almost everything costs less,

You need to get out more in the US then, look at the cost of staples like milk and in particular bread, its much more expensive.

I am there every few months and its not a cheap country any more.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 16 April 2014 at 5:03PM
    Options
    You need to get out more in the US then, look at the cost of staples like milk and in particular bread, its much more expensive.

I did say almost everything!

Milk is a strange one as it should cost much more than we pay but the supermarkets are cutting their throats to let us have it cheaply, and of course cutting the farmers profit

I have never bought bread or milk in the USA...I dont have milk in anything and rarely eat bread so cant comment on the prices of those 2 things out of the many

Eating out is cheaper, clothes are cheaper,cars cost less, fuel is a third of what we pay, so not sure I agree that its not a cheap country anymore
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Not sure about much more expensive. A gallon is $3.50 on average in the US the last few years. (just over £2).

A dozen eggs are average price of £1.20 ($2 before conversion). A lb loaf (just under 500g) will average about 85p. A lb of chicken will be around 90p and a lb of ground beef is £2.

(according to the consumer price index data provided by US dept of labour anyway)

Perhaps the area/s you visit are the more expensive ones?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • The_Pedant
    The_Pedant Posts: 634 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget also the sheer economy of scale.
    The US is 5-6 times the population of the UK. They can order more items in and ship them for less than it'd cost here
  • skitler
    skitler Posts: 3,065 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised you're so argumentative when your told how something is!

the op is allowed to debate his point, that's how it is.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure about much more expensive. A gallon is $3.50 on average in the US the last few years. (just over £2).

Remember a US Gallon is approx 4/5ths of an Imperial Gallon.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Remember a US Gallon is approx 4/5ths of an Imperial Gallon.

3.8 litres according to the source i quoted above (and also the figure used in arriving at £2 per gallon).

Still, thats average pricing. No idea what the UK average is (i presume its average geographically and also including numerous brands).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Money-Saving-King
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Milk is a strange one as it should cost much more than we pay but the supermarkets are cutting their throats to let us have it cheaply, and of course cutting the farmers profit

My god they can't win now. If it's not too expensive then someone starts moaning that if it's cheap they are cutting the suppliers profit. Unbelievable some people will never be happy!
  • skitler
    skitler Posts: 3,065 Forumite
    Options
    My god they can't win now. If it's not too expensive then someone starts moaning that if it's cheap they are cutting the suppliers profit. Unbelievable some people will never be happy!

that's how it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport