Debit Card Expires & I live abroad

Options
2»

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You may find that if you haven't let your bank know that you now live abroad, they might be looking to close your account once they find out.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    Why would anyone who doesn't live in the UK use a UK debit card abroad on a regular basis?

The only uk debit card that would be ok to use abroad on a regular basis would be the Norwich and Peterborough card (no forex fees then) or the Metrobank Debit card (In Europe only).
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or a Santander 123 in Spain...
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jdran wrote: »
    In the past I tried this once (my girlfriend spoke to them) and they -stupidly- said they need to speak to me. Like it would make a difference..

Stupidly?! Really?!

You think a better system would be that anybody can ring up and get the details changed on an account that has nothing to do with them?

Maybe I should ring up and get your card sent to my address instead and reset the PIN if they're happy to speak to anyone.

If you contact them and give them permission, they may allow your girlfriend to call on your behalf. Otherwise, if you are unable to look after your own affairs for whatever reason, you may consider giving Power of Attorney to someone so that they absolutely can deal with things on your behalf.
  • jdran
    jdran Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    Why would anyone who doesn't live in the UK use a UK debit card abroad on a regular basis?

Well, not regular basis. I use the debit for my online purchases mostly.
    meer53 wrote: »
    You may find that if you haven't let your bank know that you now live abroad, they might be looking to close your account once they find out.

I tend to find this a bit exaggerating. Do you have any official document for this? What happens to the money, vanish on the air?
    I don't think they have any right to this.
    SuperHan wrote: »
    Stupidly?! Really?!

You think a better system would be that anybody can ring up and get the details changed on an account that has nothing to do with them?

Maybe I should ring up and get your card sent to my address instead and reset the PIN if they're happy to speak to anyone.

If you contact them and give them permission, they may allow your girlfriend to call on your behalf. Otherwise, if you are unable to look after your own affairs for whatever reason, you may consider giving Power of Attorney to someone so that they absolutely can deal with things on your behalf.

Good point. I ll do it soon enough. Thanks
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How did you resolve your issue in the end?

Some banks don't like you having accounts held in the UK if you live aboard.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Why come back after 6 months??? :huh:

Anyway...
    jdran wrote: »
    I tend to find this a bit exaggerating. Do you have any official document for this? What happens to the money, vanish on the air?
    I don't think they have any right to this...

No exaggeration.
    Official document would be the termns and conditions you agreed to abide by when you opened the account (or as since amended)

Your money would still be yours. meer53 never said it wouldn't as that would indeed not be right.
    meer53 simply referred to closing the account.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    Yep, sometimes it's in the T+Cs that you must be a UK resident. This can be for a variety of reasons:

1) commercial costs: the extra hassle of dealing with people who are not in the UK
    2) money laundering/fraud risk: cards/docs etc being sent cross border - more difficult to establish income sources etc
    3) regulatory problems: the account (and some of the associated activities) might place the bank at risk from foreign regulation
    4) taxation complications

Put simply, it becomes a different kind of product if somebody is living overseas operating a UK bank account. Many banks do have such products - typically they operate them from the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. The charging methods for these products can be different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure