What does NHS commissioned course mean?

Options
Hi
My daughter has been offered a place at Plymouth Uni on a Msc Occupational Therapy pre registration course. She was told at the interview that this was un funded by NHS. I have read so much on the NHS bursary/student loans website and am totally befuddled by it. I know she won't be classed as independent as although she has worked for the last 2 years she has carried on living at home.

The fees for the course are £8600 per year and then there are living expenses, rent and travel/accommodation when she is on placement. The info on the websites keeps saying "nhs commissioned" before all the calculators (which incidentally say she should be able to claim around a £1400 bursary when I put our financial details in). I have been in touch with the Uni who couldn't tell me if it was a commissioned place just that it wasn't funded. When I try the helpline on the NHS/Student line, it says phone lines aren't working!

She already has a student loan from her first degree but as she was the last of the £3k a year students, it is relatively small. Does anyone know of any help available for what is going to be around £30 k outlay for the 2 year course.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport