Giblet's debt free journey

Options

Comments

• giblet1979
    giblet1979 Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 April 2014 at 10:45PM
    Options
    Hi INOD - no it's not one of my cats, but it is similar to one of them. They are both black and white (one almost all black apart from 1/2 her nose and her feet). They are very cute - best cats in the world IMHO :D

I can't believe how quickly this week has gone. We have tried hard not to overspend. but a few major house purchases has made things a bit tight, especially with regards to having anything left for an overpayment. We did manage to get the 'bargain' of a carpet, but had to accept defeat, and buy a branded paint, as 5 coats of a 'shop own' one wasn't working - a lesson learned in false economy here!

It's also been very busy on the work front - I've done 2 of my 4 jobs, and had to keep reminding myself about the overpayments (especially today as I couldn't be bothered with it being bank holiday, but I know there are lots of people who don't usually get the four day weekend anyway). I have also been offered (and accepted) extra hours at my main job for the next five months which is very exciting, but I'm not sure how this is going to fit in the week yet with other commitments. Once again though, I am very lucky to have the option of almost 'too much work'.

We've managed to keep under budget on our food (still £70 out of our £200 allowance) so that is promising, and hopefully we can cut this back even more in future. It is early days and we are still finding out what we actually buy; doing the spending diary really helps as I hate seeing the categories on YNAB go red :)

Tomorrow's plans include making a lovely pork roast, lots of chocolate, and a hunt for bargain curtain rails and curtains, following which we might finally be able to move into the house :j

I hope everyone has a lovely Easter x
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• themarsbargirl
    Options
    Can I make a suggestion on the coffee problem? My Mum is weird and drinks hot water, milk and sugar (basically coffee without any coffee in it) now when we go out places never seem to quite know what to charge her for it, most give her it for free-esp. places that you add your own milk and sugar, some places charge her 10p for the cup. Now from tesco you can buy 10 one cup coffee filters for about £3, you can get a reusable takeaway mug from poundland, keep them in your car and you could be having tcoffee on the go for aa little as 30p a cup.
    Credit card respend 2551.58 (15/02/17)
  • giblet1979
    Options
    Hi themarsbargirl,

That's really interesting thank you. It makes sense, and although it's easy for me to say "I just won't have any", when I'm out and about, the temptation is massive, especially if I have a long gap between clients.

I hope everyone has had a nice day? I've eaten far too much, had a long nap, and managed a NSD (largely because most of the shops were shut - not entirely sure why I was surprised and slightly offended by this!)

No curtains / rails therefore purchased, but I have been researching online for the cheapest price, and by ordering through Nectar, I'll get some lovely points also (even if I go and pick up in person tomorrow).

I also spent last night inputting information into calculators to see how much I could save on my mortgage if I can overpay a good amount. When the £13,000 loan is finished, that gives almost £300 a month available to overpay (without cutting back any more) and if i can find an extra £200 on top, it would cut 17 years, and £65,000 off the current mortgage :eek: (£500 overpayment only allowed at present). I'm also hoping that as the house equity increases, I can get a better rate, although I'm aware that rates are likely to go up over the next few years.....

To think that £65,000 could be saved, as well as the disposable income it would free up for a number of years prior to retirement, is VERY motivating (although the numbers are so big, it's difficult to actually imagine). What I've learned from the lovely people on here though, is to remember that every penny adds up, and I'm feeling excited about the future. I doubt early retirement is on the cards due to my pension, however I could cut back, and it allows for any problems that may arise due to my dodgy health!

Right - off to watch 'Cabin Fever' for few laughs, and to catch up with some diaries. Night night all :D

Gib x

• Enjoying_life_more
    Options
    Hiya

Caught up with your posts and subscribed !! Good luck - you seem focused and determined - you'll get all the support you need on here too! I look forward to your updates

:)
    Started this journey in 2013 (on a previous diary) with approx 94,000 total of morg and debt combined

Total Morg and debt outstanding March 2019. 84,487.00

Total morg and debt o/standing 1/11/19 - 80,177
    Total morg and debt o/standing 8/3/20 - 77,996

Total morg and debt Feb 2021 - 75021
    Total morg and debt jan 2022 - 68441
    Dec 2023 zero mortgage - debt under 10000
  • themarsbargirl
    Options
    You're welcome. I don't have such a problem with coffee (although sometimes i buy a pack of 10 disposible takeaway cups for about £2.50 so i feel like im'm getting a real treat) but i keep a multipack of small bottled water in my car so i can just grab one when i'm out and about-works out 15p a bottle rather than 50p-70p. i periodically try to keep snacks in my car but they tend to just get gobbled in one sitting. Your other option would be to ake up a flask of coffee each morning but that takes organizational skills that are beyond me. Oh, and you know about the free cup of coffee a day with the my waitrose card right?
  • giblet1979
    Options
    Thanks ELM - nice to see you here and I hope you don't find my ramblings too boring :)

Yes TMBG, I have the card but have never used it :o; we don't have one near me, although I have recently seen one on my travels, so this is a really good idea, thanks. I should use a flask - it would have probably saved me £100's over the years, but I have only just managed to get organised to make my lunch (prior to this I wasn't eating during the day and then overeating at home, but I have many lbs to lose as well as £'s so trying to change my habits).

I think overall I'm hoping to take more control of things in general this year. I don't know about others on here, but I can be really focused in the short term, but perhaps go at things a bit too enthusiastically and then run out of steam. Time to make life long changes for the benefit of me, and my family. The thought of being debt free (for the first time in my adult life) is exciting, and I know that with the lovely help and support on here, and my awesome (and very handsome DH :D) I'll get there...

Gib X

• themarsbargirl
    Options
    OhGib, I know just what you mean! I'm exactly the same with everything! Onwards and upwards, slow and steady wins the race!
  • giblet1979
    Options
    Right there with you tmbg :)

• I_want_a_baby
    Options
    I'm in for life changes as opposed to quick fixes!

I am an all or nothing girl and totally lack consistency!

Glad to hear all is well Giblet xx
    2024 - happy, healthy, quality over quantity, buy nothing new (and 2nd hand only if NEEDED), mindful spending, nurturing myself and family, living for now.

Mortgage @ 31/12/23 £248k - too high, interest rate gone up - want this down asap!
    Debt @ 31/12/23 £16k - no interest - will clear over 5 years hopefully.
    Emergency savings £4k - been ransacked over last year - needs attention :-(
  • giblet1979
    Options
    Consistency is overrated, IWAB, lol :)
    Hope all is well with you too. Now I MUST go buy curtains....
    DH is standing by the door waiting, and I'm not out of pyjamas yet... x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport