MSE News: Overdrafts cost too much, financial watchdog says

Options
"Overdrafts are to be investigated by the Financial Conduct Authority after it found borrowers are paying too much..."
Read the full story:

Overdrafts cost too much, financial watchdog says

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    The regulator that thinks paid for in-credit bank accounts are the way forwards.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can't remember when they limited how much payday lenders can charge, and restricted their practices to something that is commonly considered fair. Can someone remind me?
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The regulator that thinks paid for in-credit bank accounts are the way forwards.
    And clean accounts that have no introductory bonus.

So here we go, another "popular" push that is likely to result in everyone having to pay more for their banking, and get less out of it.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    Can't remember when they limited how much payday lenders can charge, and restricted their practices to something that is commonly considered fair. Can someone remind me?

The trouble with media coverage is that no one knows what's involved to run a business.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Use of overdrafts has become a 'habit' for consumers,

This is the real direction of the FCA's attack one suspects.
  • melvis
    melvis Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been "living in" my overdraft for many, many years. I didn't mind paying the £7-£10 a month charges, it was just another monthly outgoing I accounted for. Now, my bank have increased my charge to £20 a month (without warning :mad:) but it's given me the kick up the bum to pay it off and I'll have done so within the next 2 months :D
    Small business owner 🧵 Ex MSE comper 🏆 Student loan repayer 💴 Romanian dog rescuer 🐕 Hopefully a cost of living survivor 🤞🏻
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    melvis wrote: »
    I've been "living in" my overdraft for many, many years. I didn't mind paying the £7-£10 a month charges, it was just another monthly outgoing I accounted for. Now, my bank have increased my charge to £20 a month (without warning :mad:) but it's given me the kick up the bum to pay it off and I'll have done so within the next 2 months :D
    They won't have it done without warning, but the relevant bit is that you got a wake-up call and are getting rid of your overdraft - congratulations! Hope you are with a bank that actually pays you interest for being in credit (TSB, Lloyds, Santander, nationwide etc).
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Disgusting I call it. If I use my overdraft the first £100 is free and then 10.9 per annum. Should never be allowed!
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    Disgusting I call it. If I use my overdraft the first £100 is free and then 10.9 per annum. Should never be allowed!

Can't tell whether you a jesting. But assuming you are not - what should not be allowed, and why not?
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    Can't tell whether you a jesting. But assuming you are not - what should not be allowed, and why not?

Apologies I was just being flippant. For me a very good deal and has not changed in years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure