PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Worried I won't pass rental checks...?

Options
Hi,

Not sure if anyone could help me but thought I would give it a shot anyway.

I am currently in a rented house and have been here for almost a year now and had always paid my rent in full and on time. However just before christmas I had a problem with my bank account, I was targeted while out christmas shopping and had my card stolen by someone who had obviously seen me use the card and was able to see my pin and I didn't realise the card was gone until almost 3 days later!!! (very stupid of me I know!).

I had a problem paying all my bills and the rent. I contacted my letting agents as soon as I was aware that I would struggle to pay my rent and was able to pay half the rent on time and agreed to pay back £50 per month extra for the next 6 months as per the landlords request. I have done this every month since without a problem and have £100 owing so only 2 months payments. However I really want to move and have a found a house I like but I am worried that when the new agency apply for a reference from my current agency then this will show up and they won't give me the house. I have the money available to pay the landlord the £100 owing now but I have just continued with the arrangement that was originally set up as I found it convenient. Do you think I would struggle to pass the new agents checks? I am reluctant to pay them the £95 non-refundable tenant fees if they are going to refuse me on this basis.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm afraid the best person to ask is the agency. We can say what we think, but a lot depends on what the agency and the LL are prepared to accept. This will differ from one agency to another.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure