are pc games more than console?

Options

Comments

• PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd love to know where I can get five used 360 games on disc for £3! Sparhawke, where are you buying? I've never managed to get games for less than about £3 each on 360, used or not.

On PC this week, Splinter Cell: Blacklist was £2.31. Outlast was £3.75. Dead Space was free.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes was £3 on Steam itself a few weeks ago. Humble Bundles frequently have four-seven decent PC games for ~£3. I passed on £4 Batman: Arkham Origins a couple of weeks ago because I'm waiting for it to be cheaper. :D

There's the occasional £3 used console disc to be had, but it's so incredibly rare, and they tend to be such old games... and still more expensive than on PC!
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think CEX do sometimes have some games around £2, but that's because there is no demand for them as such.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Stefan234
    Stefan234 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    topcat007 wrote: »
    *more expensive

I know this is one example i have provided but have looked around a few stores different games etc and there always seems to be more expensive for PC is this the general trend ..

try the Steam store online. Most PC games there are dirt cheap, even new releases
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.humblebundle.com are doing a good example of how cheap PC games can be, at the moment they're doing daily bundles that can be bought for about £3+ giving you 5+ games :)
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    Chammy84 wrote: »
    My PC is about 5 years old, was mid range when my hubby built it (think about £400 in total) and it can play Elder Scrolls Online, Guild Wars 2 etc on max settings...beautifully! The only upgrade it has had is a new fan because the last one sounded like it was about to take off!

Aye my old machine was able to run games at good settings for about 4-5 years, my dad was using a 7 year old machine (a one of my old ones) until recently and it ran the sort of games he likes at a reasonable level.

A mid range PC released about the time as a Console will generally be able to play the games the console can play for the life of the console, a mid-high end PC will play them at higher settings.

It's one of the things that a lot of PC gamers complain about, especially 2-3 years after the launch of a console, the multi platform games typically seem to have their performance/looks held back to a degree on the PC because the Consoles can't cope with certain things/don't have the memory or graphics capabilities to deal with some things.
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stefan234 wrote: »
    try the Steam store online. Most PC games there are dirt cheap, even new releases
    Cheaper than console games, yes, but the Steam store is not usually the best place to buy PC games - even Steam games, paradoxically! New releases in particular are quite expensive on Steam, and their regular sale prices are rarely the historical best.

Their Sale Events are brilliant, and the Steam service itself is fantastic (and free!), but places like Amazon and Gamersgate will give you cheaper prices and/or other incentives to use them (e.g. cashback, store credit, etc). In the case of Steamworks games, you'll be paying less for exactly the same product.
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • demystified
    demystified Posts: 263 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2014 at 4:01PM
    Options
    PC titles are usually cheaper than equivalent console titles at release. Console games have to pay a licence fee to the console manufacturer and that pushes up the price, PC games do not.
    Chammy84 wrote: »
    My PC is about 5 years old, was mid range when my hubby built it (think about £400 in total) and it can play Elder Scrolls Online, Guild Wars 2 etc on max settings...beautifully! The only upgrade it has had is a new fan because the last one sounded like it was about to take off!

Ha, my mothers PC is nearly 10 years old and I can play Elder Scrolls Skyrim on that at High settings. Had to replace the graphics card obviously, but other than that its fine. Card was only a £55 jobbie so with a better card I'm sure I could get it higher than that.

I think I read somewhere the equivalent graphics on a console is Medium quality.
  • King_Nothing
    King_Nothing Posts: 854 Forumite
    Options
    I've just built a new PC, the last one I built was in mid 2008, played every game fine up until Ghosts (Didn't have the ram) and Wolfenstein (still running vista, which it didn't like), I can imagine my new PC will last for a good number of years this time round again, it's a myth that you have to upgrade a PC every year to keep up with the pace.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    One of my favourite steam features is streaming. I can leave the noisy gamng pc downstairs, and sit in bed with my asus t100 tablet, headphones and xbox controller and play skyrim at full pelt.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jaydeeuk1 wrote: »
    One of my favourite steam features is streaming. I can leave the noisy gamng pc downstairs, and sit in bed with my asus t100 tablet, headphones and xbox controller and play skyrim at full pelt.

It is rather good, for me the gaming PC is upstairs and I have already installed a hdmi though the walls to the TV downstairs.

But I have tried it on my netbook which works great and the netbook does have HDMI out so any other TV in the house is good to go if wanted.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income