edited 31 March 2014 at 3:55PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
419 replies 14.8K views
EverTheOptimistEverTheOptimist Forumite
2.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 31 March 2014 at 3:55PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
Welcome to The 'Egg'stra special, hippity hoppity,
Easter-ific April No Spend Day (NSD) challenge!!
:EasterBun

We are a happy (and some might say mildly insane) bunch doing battle with those retailers - and there’s plenty of temptation out there at the moment. We are seriously committed to saving money, but nobody said it can't be done with a smile on your face - so we organise riotous nights out and gatecrash any function going - all without leaving the comfort of our own imaginations or armchairs!

On a slightly more serious note, we are here to help each other avoid spending for the number of days we feel we can manage to try to take back some control over our hard-earned money. What you class as a "spend'" is entirely your choice; some people will try to shop on the days DD/SO etc are paid, whilst others will not include essentials such as rent. Have a look for a post from our sponsor (and godmother of this challenge) BigMummaF, this contains some guidelines and ideas for starting you off on the challenge.

It’s amazing how inventive you get when you’re determined NOT to spend - from weird menu ingredients to surprising DIY solutions - but you know what? 99% of the time those wacky ideas work.

Link to last month's challenge is below so any newcomers can see what we get up to (hmmmmm... on second thoughts, that might put you off...)

The Marvellous March NSD challenge is here

If you haven’t already, join the forum to join the challenge. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
SPC 14 Target £200 /
Debt: £11850

Replies

• edited 27 April 2014 at 9:58PM
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2014 at 9:58PM
    April challengers

Araminta - 16/10
    Blubella - 15/13
    Butti - 10/1
    cw18 - 15/15 :staradmin
    Deafleopard - 15/17 :staradmin
    Debt reducer - 10/8
    Donna dynamo - 16/16 :staradmin
    EverTheOptimist - 10/7
    Fedupandskint - 25/23
    Focus888 - 15/10
    Frugaldances - 15
    Giggles86 - 12
    Goldiegirl - 12/11
    IrishRose12 - 15/18 :staradmin
    Jaxsmar - 16/17 :staradmin
    JoJoC - 10/2
    Kerri gt - 16/11
    Knit Witch - 18/18 :staradmin
    Lovefullshelves - 20/17
    Marmiterulesok - 19/15
    Misselvis - 10/9
    Mobo1980 - 18/14
    Nargleblast - 15/14
    Nelly11 - 15
    Parsimonia - 16
    Pippin12 - 12/13
    Shop-Til-You-Drop -15
    Slowlyfading - 18/12
    Supersaver1000 - 16/9
    Saver-upper - 10/10 :staradmin
    Thrifty Fashionista - 16/9
    Tooties - 14/6

SPC 14 Target £200 /
  • edited 18 April 2014 at 9:48PM
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2014 at 9:48PM
    The in-a-row challengers

Knit Witch - 4 in-a-row
    Lovefullshelves - 4-in-a-row
    Marmiterulesok - 4-in-a-row
    Parsimonia - 4-in-a-row x2
    Pippin12 - 4-in-a-row
    Supersaver1000 - 4-in-a-row x2

Lovefullshelves 4-in-a-row achieved. :staradmin
    Blubella 3-in-a-row achieved :staradmin
    Knit Witch 6-in-a-row achieved :staradmin
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
  • edited 31 March 2014 at 3:57PM
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2014 at 3:57PM
    Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time NSDers so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & nargle usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
  • Knit_WitchKnit_Witch Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    oooh good the new thread! I will go for 18 and 4 in a row please :D
    Must use my stash up!
  • IrishRose12IrishRose12 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to go for 15 again this month please. March was a bit of a struggle for me, and we have Easter this month so will have to keep the LO's occupied for over a week lol.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2021 #57 £750.00/£2,000
    £1 a day challenge 2021 - #44 - £240 £730

Declutter a bag a week in 2021 17/52
  • ParsimoniaParsimonia Forumite
    255 Posts
    OK, I think I'll go for 16 in April, with 2 x 4-in-a-rows!!!
    Save £12k in 2014 - No. 153 - £1900/£9000

January NSD Challenge - 19/21 under target :(
    February NSD Challenge - 22/20 - over target :D
    March NSD Challenge - 19/14 - over target :D
    April NSD Challenge - 0/16
    YTD NSDs = 60
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it 15 for me again, ETO, I is feelin' lucky!

Now, who is supplying all the chocolates for the prizes? Don't be shy, folks, sign up for this fabulous challenge - remember the chocolates, being virtual, are calorie-free!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Joining in again I am going to try for 16 for April. I've already got the money out for exercise classes so I am hoping not to blow any more money on junk.
    #Sealed pot #085.
    1 debt versus 100 days £108.32/£300:j
    Debt Jan 2016 £6877.37. Aug £6155.56
    xmas saving £1 a day 274/366.
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what is planned this month so can you pop me down for 16 NSD please xx
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• ButtiButti Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    10 for me please
    Lets see if I can count this month!!!

Thanks for setting this up ETO.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals