Spaying

Options
saker75
saker75 Posts: 343 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 31 March 2014 at 11:39AM in Pets & pet care
Hi all

I need to get our !!!!! spayed.

Having just spent £6k on her two broken legs I am financially wiped out. And yes, the insurance paid out on that to the policy max of £3k!

Can somebody give me an idea of the cost of spaying? People I've spoken to have always seemed to combine it with something else that needed attention.

Thanks

A
PS I realise this comes across as being tight. This little girl is my absolute joy - hence the £6k.

EDIT: Notice that MSE doesn't like the proper name for a female canine!

Comments

• GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends on her weight etc I think I paid £90 to get my mini schnauzer done but that was 12 years ago. I didn't pay for my second to get done as she was already done when I got her.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you might find it varies depending on where you live, the particular practice, whether you want a conventional spay or a keyhole spay (dearer).

I live fairly rural, prices in some instances tend not to be as high as other places, not much choice of vets but I choose to travel 30 miles for what I consider to be a better vet.

Three years ago I paid around £160 for a conventional spay for my 5kg Bichon, that included everything, including pain killer to bring home, two follow up checks and removal of stitches.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will depend - breed/size affects the cost, as does your area. Ring around local vets for the most accurate prices, they should happily quote over the phone without you needing to register.

Has she had a season before? Although the chance of mammary cancer can slightly increase, it wouldn't be the end of the world to wait a while, as long as you're able to prevent any accidental pregnancy!
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Weigh your dog and then shop around the local vets. Once you know the prices ask the local dog owners you meet on walks what they think of the service at the vets they use. Should help you decide which one to go for.
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport