Anyone swapped out.landline for full size phone using mobile network to save £££££'s

in Phones & TV
7 replies 903 views
My Mum is paying £25 month for a landline with nuttin but free calls and answer phone
I pay £10 month includes 500 mins 5000 texts and 500mb data AND mobile smartphone to do it all on
My is 75 and not smartphone savvy
Question is
Anyone swapped out.landline for full size phone using mobile network to save £££££'s
When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?

Replies

• Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't advise a 75 year old to get rid of a landline. If she needs to call an ambulance one day, she will know where her landline phone is and it won't need charging! 25 a month is too much for line rental though. There must be cheaper options than that. Check what plan she is on. Could she pay a year in advance? Could she change provider?
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most broadband customers still require an ADSL line for broadband. Adding a call package to this is free or relatively cheap (I pay a fiver for anytime calls). If you have VM cable, then dropping the phone line is an option, but it won't save you £££'s.
    Most 75 year-olds that I know wouldn't want to be without the security of a landline, even if they do also use mobiles.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No mainly due to home alarm service .
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    No mainly due to home alarm service .
    ??????? ... Dunno what that is
  • Nick C you can now get phones that come in a charge shoe. (As per her landline) include emergency speed dial and look every bit exactly the same as landline phone BUT use gsm sim/mobile network - that's what I'm asking about - I figure my mum is.not.the only person on MSE using gsm as main phone to save a foooooooortune
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    ??????? ... Dunno what that is

Alarm pendant / falls pendant for elderly people .
    With emergency services response / call neighbours/ relatives .
  • Nada666Nada666 Forumite
    5K Posts
    JethroUK wrote: »
    My Mum is paying £25 month for a landline with nuttin but free calls and answer phone
    I pay £10 month includes 500 mins 5000 texts and 500mb data AND mobile smartphone to do it all on
    My is 75 and not smartphone savvy
    Question is
    Are you not five or ten years too late to come up with this idea? Many people only need (and use) a landline for broadband.

(An alternative is the £5 per month Basic landline rental and to use a mobile for calls out.)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides