Moneysupermarket / Uswitch - conflicting results

Options
llyamah
llyamah Posts: 255 Forumite
Hi all. I am wondering if you can help me make sense of some comparisons that I have done for my gas and electricity bill. I am currently with Spark energy on their advance tariff and made the comparisons on Moneysupermarket / uswitch based on annual usage of 7982kWh (gas) and 4831kWh (electric).

Moneysupermarket says it has found plans that could save me up to £239.00 per year but Uswitch says I am "on the cheapest plan at the moment". Uswitch shows me the same plans as moneysupermarket, but says they will cost me an extra £x per year.

If someone can help me make sense of this, it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Look at how much they'll cost, not how much they'll save. Some comparison sites will make an assumption that your present contract will expire and you'll get put onto a standard tariff so they will calculate you a saving based on your future costs. Read all the information that's given not just the headline.

In the end its the cost per kwh multiplied by your consumption plus the standing charge that determines how much you'll pay, not some fictitious savings. Do your own sums to check the comparison sites calculations based on the actual tariffs.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plus any deductions for direct debit etc .
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For a property with gas CH and DHW, your leccy usage is about 50% more than average, and your gas usage about half: so I'd double check your kWh figures.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport