We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Wormery

Options
Hi

Thinking about this for the garden etc and was wondering if anybody knows how to build one and not buy one??

What do I need to get etc and thanks for sharing

Comments

• ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just google it - there are loads of designs.

Main ones seem to involve using either plastic crates or a small water butt. I reckon you could put one together for under a tenner plus the cost of worms if you want to buy the tiger worms.

I noticed that one of the companies that started selling them now only sells lots of accessories but not the actual wormeries themselves which might say something.

We have a couple we picked up cheap on ebay but too early to say if the verdict is hit or miss as only been going a month or so.

They dont smell, which was my concern but the worms can only handle their bodyweight in a week so for a family of five they only take a small amount of the food waste so we still end up composting or binning a load.

I was tempted to make worm city beast with a 220 litre water butt - the other half said no - she says that a lot.

One day I will build it - the king of all wormeries.
  • pierrelejohn
    Options
    I've had a wormery for years, it doesn't compost all my waste, but a good amount of it.

Cheap ones come up on ebay from time to time or why don't you email wormcity as they occasionally do seconds , you might get lucky like I did.
  • wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    I have had a wormery for a few years and have never got on top of it, you would think that it was foolproof but I have managed to kill them and for some reason or other they always seem to be trying to escape, I have taken it to the allotment now and left it to its own devices this is the last chance saloon for those worms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure