Getting my money back from nPower - Third Party Debt Order?

Options
When I left nPower for a new gas and electricity provider in January 2013 my account had accumulated a couple of hundred pounds of credit. I thought that closing the account would be a good way to get my account credit back.

Not so. nPower still declined to return my money despite an Ombudsman decision in my favour. That was 5 months ago.

The Ombudsman have stopped replying to my emails (perhaps they are too embarrassed). As best I can understand it I need to go to a County Court and ask a judge to treat my Ombudsman decision like a Court Judgment. After that I then apply for a Third Party Debt Order. Is that right? If so, exactly what procedure do I follow to approach the judge?

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What reason have nPower given for not refunding the balance? Is the final bill in dispute?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • sugarycider
    Options
    nPower's response (paraphrased) is that a cheque is in the post.

As for a dispute over the final bill, well, this has been through the Ombudsman's process and they have made their decision. That means that the dispute stage is over and we're now at the 'enforcement' stage.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ombudsman outcome isnt a legal outcome, so they wouldnt look at it the same
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure