Inland Revenue Error (They asking for More tax than owed)? Can they amend on phone ?

Options
katesheet
katesheet Posts: 216 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 28 March 2014 at 5:38PM in Cutting tax
HMRC have sent a bill of unpaid tax to be paid.

But they have said a 'larger' amount needs to be paid, than actually needs to be paid.

{Made up example}
they have said £1200 needs to be paid, but only £800 needs to be actually paid, so they have added an extra £400 (which can be explained) but Inland revenue make errors.

The question is, can they amend this error with a new calculation by the telephone?

so they
1) See the error,
2) Recalculate the amount
3) say the Actual correct amount owed,

All over the telephone only? ( can they do them red steps?)

I know a letter is sometimes advised, but if done by letter but do letters take them 4-5 weeks to get back (as it is the end of the tax year)

The main question is, can the recalculation be done over the telephone with a HMRC advisor ?

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    katesheet wrote: »
    HMRC have sent a bill of unpaid tax to be paid.

But they have said a 'larger' amount needs to be paid, than actually needs to be paid.

{Made up example}
    they have said £1200 needs to be paid, but only £800 needs to be actually paid, so they have added an extra £400 (which can be explained) but Inland revenue make errors.

The question is, can they amend this error with a new calculation by the telephone?

so they
    1) See the error,
    2) Recalculate the amount
    3) say the Actual correct amount owed,

All over the telephone only? ( can they do them red steps?)

I know a letter is sometimes advised, but if done by letter but do letters take them 4-5 weeks to get back (as it is the end of the tax year)

The main question is, can the recalculation be done over the telephone with a HMRC advisor ?

in principle yes but depends upon the circumstances
  • pcgtron
    pcgtron Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds to me like payments on account. Post the real figures please. It looks like you're being asked to pay the tax owed + 50 percent as a payment on account for next year
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I called them for a similar reason, they said I must write explaining exactly why I thought it was wrong. It took them months to reply but they would not do it on the phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure