Twitter suspension for comping, need advice

Options
Can someone advice me please what I am doing wrong as I have been suspended from Twitter 3 times in the last 2 weeks for spamming. I don't understand that there are loads of compers out there who are constantly tweeting from morning till night and have no problems yet don't get suspended. If this was a standard persons account I would understand but I opened a new account just for comping and only have followers who have followed me since I have entered their competition. I feel like I have had my hands chopped off because I can look at the comps but cant enter, any advice please, I'm cracking up. Twitter name @welshkaren1

Comments

• sax11
    sax11 Posts: 3,250 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    do you ever make comments other than RT's ?
  • halkerstone
    halkerstone Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh, poor you. I do competitions on twitter but have never been suspended for spamming. Jane Willis @janesgrapevine is an expert on comping and has written lots of great stuff on using twitter on her blog http://www.compersgrapevine.co.uk/p/the-twitter-posts-index.html . If you contact her she may well be able to help you. Hope you get it sorted.
    Thanks to all who post comps!
  • Daza
    Daza Posts: 3,936 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of pressing "Retweet" copy and paste the message into the "Reply to" message box and send it that way .... obviously the message needs to be short enough
  • Kamaya
    Kamaya Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was suspended for 'spamming' a couple of months ago on the following grounds:

"This account was suspended for sending multiple unsolicited @replies or mentions. Twitter monitors the use of these features to make sure they're not abused. Using either feature to post messages to other users in an unsolicited or egregious manner is considered an abuse of its use, which results in account suspension.."

I argued that as the accounts invited users to interact via replying or retweeting it wasn't unsolicited - they agreed to lift suspension & had no problems since :)
    Best competition wins:
    2011 - £3,695 Tag Heuer watch!!
    Debt Free, thanks to MSE Forum advice and support.
  • JessicAhh
    JessicAhh Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So far - fingers crossed - I've been okay... I try to write one or two 'normal' Tweets between my @mentions / replies / RTs, though. My account is not strictly for comping only. Unfortunately, it's the comping only accounts that get suspended the most - because of all the RTs, usually - I think Kamaya's case is quite unusual for being suspended for mentions / replies. :)
  • JessicAhh
    JessicAhh Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a look at your account, westielover, and the only thing I wonder about is the fact that when you copy and repaste a RT, you then send it multiple times over the course of several days. Perhaps Twitter picks up on that because you're sending the same message with the same @mentions in it... Otherwise, you seem to do all the right things, e.g. posting about things other than comps, and not going to the extreme limits of your Twitter follows...
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JessicAhh wrote: »
    I had a look at your account, westielover, and the only thing I wonder about is the fact that when you copy and repaste a RT, you then send it multiple times over the course of several days. Perhaps Twitter picks up on that because you're sending the same message with the same @mentions in it... Otherwise, you seem to do all the right things, e.g. posting about things other than comps, and not going to the extreme limits of your Twitter follows...

I agree multiple retweets/tweets of the same thing is likely to be the main problem rather than there not being many original tweets - My twitter account, which is comping only, has over 4100 retweets and probably no more than 20 actual tweets and never had a twitter suspension or even a threat of one (quickly touches head).
  • westielover_2
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies, sorry was on school run. I went on a site the other day and it said for every 10 comps I retweet leave 3 comments on my account which I have been doing,in fact leaving comments between every 3 or 4 entries. I have also tried the "reply to" and still suspended again.

Kamaya, there is no where to write my argument as to why I am supposedly spamming, can you remember where you sent it?
  • westielover_2
    Options
    I also don't understand how people are retweeting the same comp up to 100 times (and I have seen this) and are not suspended
  • snakepilsen
    snakepilsen Posts: 2,757 Forumite
    Options
    I also don't understand how people are retweeting the same comp up to 100 times (and I have seen this) and are not suspended

It must have been retweets of separate tweets.You can't retweet the same thing twice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure