Bt cancelled home move- now trying to cancel BT contract

in Phones & TV
8 replies 1.7K views
Hello everyone

I am having trouble with BT. We are moving house this weekend. The beginning of last week I placed a home move order online which stated we would need to pay £130 for a new line or enter a new 18 month contract. I selected the new contract with infinity 2 at £20 a month. I recieved a call on Tuesday this week to say that there was a problem with my order and could I ring them. They are now saying this was a system error and I will have to contract with them at the £26 a month if I want to go ahead. Bearing in mind they can't get an engineer out to us until 15th April (probably later than this now as they have cancelled the initial order) this is highly frustrating.

It transpires that there is a line at the new house but it is with virgin so I understand that why they would want to charge me or make us recontract to change this. On tuesday I was also quoted £109 to leave BT, I have just been quoted £132.60 by someone who claims to be in the cancellations department but also the home move department.

Our current contract is up on 10th July so they 'can't' offer me any deals as we are 'still in contract'

I would like some advise on
1. how to put a complaint into BT (they are making it impossible so far) as I have a screen shot of the offer and feel it is unacceptable to just expect me to pay £26 instead for infinity 2.
2. Should I pay the cancellation fee and leave
3. Should I pay the instillation fee and just leave when our initial contract is up in July

Either way I will be putting in a formal complaint (whether this will get me anywhere who knows)

Replies

• BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Virgin cable is a different network (assuming Virgin cable). I would be amazed at you wishing to accept an inferior service using xDSL when cable is available.

Your complaint reasoning (to BT) seems unreasonable as you have the opportunity to get a better level of service from a different supplier, and simply pay the lower amount and if they complain, get them to justify if they say there is a shortfall.
  • littleboolittleboo Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Buzby wrote: »
    Virgin cable is a different network (assuming Virgin cable). I would be amazed at you wishing to accept an inferior service using xDSL when cable is available.
    Although VM has the potential to offer better speeds than ADSL, the utter incompetence of VM in managing their own network means that despite attractive headline speeds, you may end up with speeds significantly lower than ADSL could provide.
  • We didn't want to accept an inferior product, we just wanted to take our current contract with BT or leave them. Having spoken to 3 different customer advisors last night just trying to find out how to cancel our contract (took two hours) and what the charges include we have decided to leave BT, pay the cancellation fee and put in a complaint about their dismal customer services and ask them to justify offering me and signing me up to a £20 contract at the new house and then telling me it's actually £26. It's costing us over £132.00 We have also been told that £65 of the cancellation charge is for the home hub 5, something that turned up in January (out of the blue) apparently because when I cancelled the additional calling features it triggered this. Not that we will have any use for the hub but why charge us £65 for the hub and want it sent back to them? TBH just glad to be rid of them, so much for customer service
  • visidigivisidigi Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    littleboo wrote: »
    Although VM has the potential to offer better speeds than ADSL, the utter incompetence of VM in managing their own network means that despite attractive headline speeds, you may end up with speeds significantly lower than ADSL could provide.

Absolute rubbish.

Infact, a recent report stated that VM were one of the only companies in the country to offer the stated speed!

ADSL is an inferior product at a number of different levels. Yes VM traffic shape, but what many seem to choose to ignore there is the traffic shaping is still to a speed far in excess of the average ADSL line speed.
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We didn't want to accept an inferior product, we just wanted to take our current contract with BT or leave them. Having spoken to 3 different customer advisors last night just trying to find out how to cancel our contract (took two hours) and what the charges include we have decided to leave BT, pay the cancellation fee and put in a complaint about their dismal customer services and ask them to justify offering me and signing me up to a £20 contract at the new house and then telling me it's actually £26. It's costing us over £132.00 We have also been told that £65 of the cancellation charge is for the home hub 5, something that turned up in January (out of the blue) apparently because when I cancelled the additional calling features it triggered this. Not that we will have any use for the hub but why charge us £65 for the hub and want it sent back to them? TBH just glad to be rid of them, so much for customer service

Wouldn't bother complaining - they simply don't care. The company treat customers with contempt. I had one small issue with BT Sport and they completely messed it up, the guy on the phone had the cheek to call my money they shouldn't have taken for a service they didn't provide as compensation!
  • edited 28 March 2014 at 1:48PM
    littleboolittleboo Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 28 March 2014 at 1:48PM
    visidigi wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish.

Infact, a recent report stated that VM were one of the only companies in the country to offer the stated speed!

ADSL is an inferior product at a number of different levels. Yes VM traffic shape, but what many seem to choose to ignore there is the traffic shaping is still to a speed far in excess of the average ADSL line speed.

Not rubbish at all. Read my post again. Virgin have the potential to offer the stated speed, but where they fail to manage capacity properly and fail to fix network issues, it's entirely possible to get real life speeds significantly lower than the headline speed.
    In the case of a relation of mine, they get 4-5Mb on a 60Mb service, its been like that since September and VM have consistently failed to resolve the network capacity issue. In their case, ADSL would have provided a faster service, around 12Mb.
    If you look on the VM forums, this isnt an uncommon situation.
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    littleboo wrote: »
    Not rubbish at all. Read my post again. Virgin have the potential to offer the stated speed, but where they fail to manage capacity properly and fail to fix network issues, it's entirely possible to get real life speeds significantly lower than the headline speed.
    In the case of a relation of mine, they get 4-5Mb on a 60Mb service, its been like that since September and VM have consistently failed to resolve the network capacity issue. In their case, ADSL would have provided a faster service, around 12Mb.
    If you look on the VM forums, this isnt an uncommon situation.

It is rubbish. You're implying adsl doesn't suffer from the same problems. It can and does...
  • edited 28 March 2014 at 8:39PM
    littleboolittleboo Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 28 March 2014 at 8:39PM
    visidigi wrote: »
    It is rubbish. You're implying adsl doesn't suffer from the same problems. It can and does...

Where exactly did I imply that ? (Clue - I didn't).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals