Insurance Write-off Dispute

Options
Hello everyone,
I trying to find advice from anyone that has tried to dispute an insurance write off or what procedures I can take.
I had a bump in my car coming out of a petrol station, the other car ran into me damaging just the very front off side of my car.
Now my car is an 1993 MX6, and I knew it would it would be an insurance write off (parts for these cars are very expensive). The damage was to the front bumper, off side wing, bonnet & radiator.
When I spoke to the insurance company (Frizzell - Liverpool Victoria) I managed to get their engineer to come to my house to view the damage (if they took the car away to inspect it it would be up to me to get it returned to my house at a cost!). When he inspected it his initial opinion was it would be writen off poss a Cat 'D' (uneconomical to repair) which is what I thought. But when we recieved the paperwork it had been classified as a Cat 'B' :eek: which means the car has to be dismantled and distroyed due to damage to the front suspension and wheel. There was NO impact to the front wheel, infact I drove the car the three miles home from the accident with no noticable driving difference to before the accident!
We have since spoken to the insurers and they seem reluctant to budge from this and I'm not sure what I can do. Cat 'B' also means I cant purchase the car after the payout because 'their policy' says Cat 'B' has to be distroyed and parts cant be salvaged. Now the reason I want to retain the car is that I have another MX6 that is a restoration project and I can use all the parts.
Does anyone have any idea if and how I can tackle this.

Mark

Comments

• foxyuk
    foxyuk Posts: 966 Forumite
    Options
    unfortunately due to the category you will not have any opportunity to get the salvage:mad:
  • brazilianwax
    brazilianwax Posts: 9,438 Forumite
    Options
    It won't be down to 'their policy' - if it's cat B, it must be squashed.

Unless the engineer changes his mind (or you can get a qualified second opinion) then the insurers don't have a choice.
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • MX6addict
    Options
    I'm going to see about getting an independent assesment of the car, I'm convinced the Cat 'B' is wrong. If they dont let me keep the car for parts they are going to cost me best part of £1,000 on top of their offer for a decision they made which is wrong!, they shouldnt be aloud to do this!

Mark
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport