GapInsurance 123

Options
Hi,

I'm picking up my new car at the weekend, and i'm looking at Gap Insurance.
Most prices have been around £150 ish for 3 years return to invoice cover. Much better than the £400 dealer option!

However I found a company called GapInsurance 123 who have quoted me £74 for 3 years RTI, or 5 years Vehicle Replacement Cover - the most comprehensive cover around, for £199.

This seems to good to be true - has anyone used this company before, and are they any good?

Before I get the standard "don't buy gap insurance" remarks, that part is already set in stone. If my car was written off now I'd get £5000 rather than the £2500 part ex price im getting. Given that my new car is more expensive and thus I'll have a higher gap to be insured, its a no brainer. My brother recently "lost out" on over £3500 when he was hit and his car was written off and his insurance payout was tiny. I'm not taking the risk.

Thanks in advance!
F1F93

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://defaqto.com/star-ratings/motor-gap-insurance

Defaqto seems to suggest the product is good based on its 5*

Which? whilst they have a guide to what GAP is doesnt have any recommended providers.
  • F1F93
    F1F93 Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. Have found another quote now at a similar price so doesn't seem as dodgy.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I always take out Gap Insurance on a new car.
    I think it is extremely sensible.
    I always do as you do & find my own....last time I think I paid about 150 GBP.
    It was 6 years ago so I can't remember who I used.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    I recently bought a new car and took out GAP insurance (RTI) using http://www.car2cover.co.uk - they weren't quite the cheapest quote (although I emailed them and got a few quid knocked off) but their website is very clear and transparent about what it covers compared to some other policies.

I got 5 years for £168, cover up to £10k.
  • spikescot2005
    Options
    Also looking at taking GAP insurance and came across HelpUcover. They are certainly the cheapest and payment is monthly. For up to £7500 of cover it comes to £3.23 a month. Just a bit wary of them. Any advise?
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    helpucover doesnt do return to invoice
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • whatmichaelsays
    Options
    Is it a brand new car (ie, are you the first name on the V5)?

If so, your insurer will usually offer vehicle replacement in the first year (sometimes the first two), negating the need for GAP.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 March 2014 at 2:47PM
    Options
    Is it a brand new car (ie, are you the first name on the V5)?

If so, your insurer will usually offer vehicle replacement in the first year (sometimes the first two), negating the need for GAP.

So what happens without GAP cover after that period, say the car gets written off after thirteen months if it is only covered for replacement new for old by insurance for twelve?
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    So what happens without GAP cover after that period, say the car gets written off after thirteen months if it is only covered for replacement new for old by insurance for twelve?

You get the "old" price only. In theory that should be enough and buy another "old" car but you may have finance issues if it wasnt a cash purchase
  • Tripper44
    Options
    You have to be careful with gap as they make it sound like they will cover the whole cost sometimes as yet many are limited to a certain amount of percentage of the total car value, be careful read the small print
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure