Quidco and home insurance

Options
I need to renew my home insurance shortly.
Usually I need to add on bits and pieces (expensive watch, camera, bucycle).
Usually this cannot be done on line.

What's my best approach to get quidco cashback.

Should I set up the policy normally on-line so that I get the cashback and then add the other bits on later over the phone?

The problem is that usually you can't add these things on-line so it will be difficult to set up a policy with them included on-line.

I don't mind the items being "at risk" for a day or 2 as they are usually locked up inside an alarmed house unless atually being used.

Comments

• emh_2
    emh_2 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am currently in the process of doing the same, and so far, most of the insurers through quidco allow you to add on ( I have an engagement ring).

It is worth checking the prices before and after adding on though, as for some insurers it costs hardly anything to add on, whereas others it costs much more. Barclays (my current insurer) have a high limit on personal possessions away from home (£2500) so I didn't need to add on last year. But shopping around this year to see if I can get a better renewal...

good luck
  • SherbetMan
    SherbetMan Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    I am on the hunt for renewal as well, so will compare notes!
  • puc
    puc Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    hi

don't rely on cashback from quidco. in feb. i took out a lloydstsb home insurance policy via quidco. after it failed to track, i submitted an enquiry which was successful. no sign of any money as yet though.

a little later, i took out car insurance via quidco (budget) which again failed to track. i was suspicious when the link vanished from the quidco site a few weeks later. my enquiry was unsuccessful as quidco reckoned the cashback was awarded to a rival cookie. strange as i installed a dedicated browser for quidco alone and always clear the cookies.

perhaps i've been unlucky but i won't bother with quidco again.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks.
    I agree, I would never take out a policy just because there's cashback on quidco.

However if there is cashback going begging on a policy that I've evaluated and decided to take out anyway then it's worth getting the extra bonus.

I've had cashback before so I know that quidco do pay out.
    I think you have to be careful with cookies etc.

It's sad you've had a bad experience but I think they do pay out most of the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure