We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Nematodes

Options
mapcr77
mapcr77 Posts: 667 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello,

Does anyone know where is the best place to buy nematodes? I've read they're good for controlling slugs and snails as well as some types of grubs, so want to give it a go. But I'm wondering if they are harmful to any crop? I remember reading that some plants are susceptible to nematodes attacks, so I dont want to kill slugs and grubs to the expense of other plants :confused:

Many thanks

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure where you can get these but the nearest garden centre should be able to help. As with all insects etc there are various types of nematode, the ones to clobber slugs and snails should have no effect on the plants, just make sure the soil does not dry out too much as they need moisture to survive. We use nematodes to control vine weevil, very effective when used at the correct time of the year.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • billycasper_2
    billycasper_2 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, There are loads of websites that sell organic pest controls etc. type in nematodes on google and see the results.
    here are a few
    www.gardening-naturally.com
    www.HarrodHorticultural.com
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure where you can get these but the nearest garden centre should be able to help. As with all insects etc there are various types of nematode, the ones to clobber slugs and snails should have no effect on the plants, just make sure the soil does not dry out too much as they need moisture to survive. We use nematodes to control vine weevil, very effective when used at the correct time of the year.

Sorry Peter but I couldn't help laughing bitterly when I read this - absolutely no chance of any soil round here drying out, chance would be a fine thing. Bought a hose pipe this year and its still in the wrapper as there's been no need to use it we've had so much rain the last two months. Never seen the grass so green - at this time of year its normally scorched but no...

swimmingly Teapot
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That'll teach me to look at what I'm writing, won't it? However I don't think it'll keep raining forever so if the sun shines for more than 10 minutes at a timeits worth remembering. I have to make a concious effort to remember that I still have to water the greenhouses, all this rain makes you complacent.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • mapcr77
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice, another question, when would be the right time to apply the nematodes then? Is it ok to do it now? And do I need to wait a while till I plant in the soil again afterwards? Also, as both grubs and slugs are my problem, and there are nematodes products for both, is there any difference? Or is it the same thing with different packaging??

Thanks so much!!
  • BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now would be a fantastic time to apply slug nematodes, as there is no chance of the ground drying out with all this rain! I have just ordered some myself from one of the online places.

As far an I understand they are completely natural and occur in the soil anyway (all you are doing is upping the number of them), so no problem planting out in the soil after application.

And they only deal with slugs, not snails - but I've found in the past that once the slug population is reduced by the nematodes, the snails tend to be picked off by the other predators like birds, frogs and hedgehogs - as there are no slugs they have to go for the crunchy alternatives! :D

Hope this helps.
    :D
  • mapcr77
    Options
    Thanks a lot BlondeHeadOn. Sadly there's no much wildlife around my area, and the birds are only interested in the berries of one of my bushes, lol.

More than slugs, is the grubs giving me headache, as they've been eating the roots of all my seedlings, so I haven't managed to get a single crop going between them, the slugs and the lack of sunshine! Oh well... it's all good clean fun!

Thanks again!
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    mapcr77 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot BlondeHeadOn. Sadly there's no much wildlife around my area, and the birds are only interested in the berries of one of my bushes, lol.

More than slugs, is the grubs giving me headache, as they've been eating the roots of all my seedlings, so I haven't managed to get a single crop going between them, the slugs and the lack of sunshine! Oh well... it's all good clean fun!

Thanks again!
    your grubs might be vine weevil. If that is the case you need to treat immediately with Provado Vine Weevil Killer or they will increase in number and dessimate your plants. The grubs eat the roots and the adults come out at night and eat the leaves.
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • mapcr77
    Options
    katskorner wrote: »
    your grubs might be vine weevil. If that is the case you need to treat immediately with Provado Vine Weevil Killer or they will increase in number and dessimate your plants. The grubs eat the roots and the adults come out at night and eat the leaves.

Thanks for your advice. I was looking at Provado Vine Weevil Killer today in Wilkinsons, but it says it should not be applied on edible plants :confused: Do you know of any other product I could use?

Many thanks!
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, lots of new information! Thanks guys!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure