Holiday pay

Options
Hi there.

I got made redundant last week with one week's notice (my employment ended yesterday 20/3).

The new holiday year starts on 1st April and I had booked the 20th and 31st March off before I got made redundant.

The boss said that he would sort me out with holiday pay, but wasn't aware of how many.

Would I get holiday pay for 1 or 2 days, as the 1 day fell within my notice period, (20/3)?

Thanks in advance.
Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there.

I got made redundant last week with one week's notice (my employment ended yesterday 20/3).

The new holiday year starts on 1st April and I had booked the 20th and 31st March off before I got made redundant.

The boss said that he would sort me out with holiday pay, but wasn't aware of how many.

Would I get holiday pay for 1 or 2 days, as the 1 day fell within my notice period, (20/3)?

Thanks in advance.

What date did you start working for this employer?
  • NVRAM
    NVRAM Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    You're entitled to any unused holiday as pay in your final wage.
    As above when did you start working there and what were your hours?
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NVRAM wrote: »
    You're entitled to any unused holiday as pay in your final wage.
    As above when did you start working there and what were your hours?

I started there January 2013 and worked 19.5 hours per week (3 days, 9.00 - 4.00).
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

How many days holiday from your annual allowance did you have remaining to be taken at the time you left ?
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    How many days holiday from your annual allowance did you have remaining to be taken at the time you left ?

2 days left
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    2 days left

Working 3 days a week your minimum (statutory) holiday entitlement would have been 16.8 days. I'm guessing your employer would round this up to 17 days a year (which would include any bank holidays not worked when in a normal week you would).

My calculation of what is owed to you:
    As you had booked 31 March as a holiday, that must be one of your normal working days and therefore the working days from your date of termination to the end of the holiday year would have totalled 4. The minimum entitlement for this would be 0.48 days. Therefore they could deduct 0.48 days from the leave left to the end of the year. So they should pay you a minimum of 0.52 of a day's pay if you did take 20 March as a holiday as originally booked or 1.52 days if you actually worked.

If your holiday entitlement was more than 17 days a year, then you would lose more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure