PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Halogen cookers?

Options
Does anyone here use a halogen cooker? Are they as cost effective and efficient as they claim to be?

I saw an advert for the JML Halowave on one of the shopping channels this morning and must admit I'm very tempted. But, I already have an Actifry and microwave with a combined grill so do I really need one?
“You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,598 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got the JML Halowave and love it. Do you need it? Probably not - but it will do more than your Actifry and microwave with grill so if you think you would use a "mini oven" and have the space for it and can afford it then go for it. It's certainly more economical for small things than putting on the "big" oven. I use mine quite a lot even though I've got a microwave/grill/convection oven.

Denise
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    I've got the Cookworks one from Ideal World and wouldn't be without it. Wish I could leave it out on my work surface BUT my kitchen is tiny and not enough space, so it lives in a cupboard instead.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was given one, and it was reasonably useful whilst we didn't have an oven. I could bake bread in it one loaf at a time, so it took a long time to do my normal four loaves at a time! It's good for oven chips which is all I use mine for now.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    I It's good for oven chips which is all I use mine for now.
    Mine (see The Works thread on Grabbit) burns chips if I don't keep turning them. In fact, all it seems to do is cook food by grilling it.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    Options
    Mine (see The Works thread on Grabbit) burns chips if I don't keep turning them. In fact, all it seems to do is cook food by grilling it.

Mine has a turner inside it so it makes them perfectly. Unfortunately the same thing at Christmas turned my roast potatoes into a pile of crumbs :(
  • chrisfreelander54
    Options
    We have just bought the halowave and can recommend it 100%.

So far we have used it to make HM chips, which are so fluffy and light just like we get from the local chippy, minus the grease. :D

We have also cooked pork chops which were so succulent. Mmmmmmm.

I've yet to use it for HM pizza, bread and cakes.

We bought one as our friends have one and since buying it their oven has become redundant.

HTH
    Chris.
    YNAB is my new best friend. :)
  • pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a halogen for 2 years and love it. After getting it I stopped using the big oven.

A year ago I refitted the kitchen and took the decision to do without a cooker and only use the halogen, never regretted it.

I especially love cooking a joint of meat or chicken in it, keeps it moist and tastes yum!
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2014 at 11:23PM
    Options

I got the same one, and it burnt the lid of the pie. So now i try mostly to use the low rack. I tried again tonight and it cooked the top beautifully but the underneath was soggy. Itried HM pizza and my daughter preferred it. I'm in a rented property and my oven is currently waiting to be repaired, so it has got me through a sticky patch; however, i can only see me using it in an emergency in future or instead of putting on the big oven. I also have microwave although not combi, Actifry, Slow cooker and breadmaker. if i had to choose again i wouldn't have got it knowing what i know now. I'm just glad i didn't pay more.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    The best thing of all for chips is an Actifry.

However, there are some Halogen ovens that have 'a stirrer-thingy attachment' (can't think of the word I'm looking for) which make them much suitable for doing chips than a basic Halogen. I've have my basic Halogen for a few years and have never tried to do chips in it.

If something is in danger of burning, try using the dish with the holes in as a kind of 'radiant heat diffuser' - works especially if you put the item being cooked on the lower rack and position the higher rack over it with the upturned holey tray on top of it.
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    Options
    I've had the Andrew James Premier Digital halogen oven for about eight months now and use it almost every day. I rarely use my main oven now. I thoroughly recommend these ovens; they are cheaper to run than a main oven and far far easier to keep clean!
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family