in Credit File & Ratings
6.6K replies 872.8K views

Replies

• erudioederudioed Forumite
    681 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    i have 2 questions.
    Does anyone know what happens if we breech their agreement, such as by not providing bank details? I assume that means we couldnt be defered...if that is so, and we go rogue and have no further contact, does that mean the debt still officially ends when we get to 50 or after 25 years etc? Or does that mean the debt would continue all life?
    The second question is if we offered to pay them £1 a month for the rest of our life, do they have an obligation to accept it if it is from people usually in deferment but making a superficial attempt to pay it off. Can they only refuse an offer a certain number of times or is there anything like that we could do to keep our names of the CRA's and having our info circulated to these other scumbags.
  • rizla_kingrizla_king Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you breach the agreement the whole loan is payable immediate and they can take you to court for it.

If you in breach of the agreement then the age write off no longer apply either.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • rizla_king wrote: »
    If you breach the agreement the whole loan is payable immediate and they can take you to court for it.

If you in breach of the agreement then the age write off no longer apply either.

What if Erudio breaches the agreement? For example, their plan might be to just keep fobbing people off or ignoring people right up until the deferment date, then help themselves to money people can't afford to lose. Also, what would happen if they outright refuse a deferment even when someone's income is well below the almost £29 000 per year when repayments are supposed to start?

Surely breaching the agreement works both ways and there should be consequences for both Erudio and/or the customer if one or both breaches it? When the loans were sold to Erudio by the government, it wasn't supposed to be a one-way street.
  • ericcthekingericctheking Forumite
    328 Posts
    ✭✭
    The above post is quite right.
    If Erudio report the loan to credit agencies without your permission, misuse your data, impose illegal penalty fees. etc. you can take Erudio to court.
    Just keep records and evidence that you are under the threshold (this can be clear from your tax) and they won't be able to make you pay.
    681 Posts
    ✭✭
    Right, after a whole 4 hours of phone calls, starting with nationaldentlineuk, to the financial ombudsman, to the financial conduct authority, to the student loans company and finally told to go back to the department for business innovation and skills (BIS),where i found out the only place/address to complain to about these loans, other than the official process complaining to erudio first and then the financial ombudsman.
    It is this email address at BIS: [email protected]
    IF anyone has a complaint to lodge in general about erudio about the loans sale/issues thus encountered, i encourage everyone to mail this address. I was told to include as much information as possible in the mail, outlining as much as possible, encounters, problems etc etc.
    My own search today mainly focused on agreement to pass on info to CRAs being tied up with our deferments and additional info they want that may breech our original terms and conditions.
    The financial ombudsman agent i spoke to said he thought SLC might have agreed to Erudion passing on info to CRAs in their new agreement and that it 'might' be legal because all debt collection companies are obliged to do this. But he was not 100% sure and suggested calling the financial conduct authority...they said student loans were outside what they deal with and call SLC. The SLC agent, after hearing my 2 main complaints said they certainly seem to have breached our agreement/original T&Cs...but, i didnt exactly have 100% confidence in him or his replies, as he didnt seem that engaged/bothered. The guy at BIS in the complaints dept said to email (what i list above) the complaint to him and it will get passed onto sheffield, where they will investigate and reply in a letter.
    I strongly suggest everyone with any complaint they think is legitimate to write to this email address offering a full account of all gripes and what you think has been breached. A personal account is what they want, so not just a reproduced letter i think. BUT, and a big but, dont forget to complain to erudio about anything you feel they have breached the T&C's, it is my understanding that everything must start there. However, complaining to BIS is slightly different and i assume can be concurrent.
    Hope it helps and keep mailing, we all need to know!
  • Thanks for doing all that, erudioed. I might have to get straight on to the department for Business, Innovation and Skills if I don't get my deferment confirmed by Erudio this week, as the direct debit is due to go out of my account the middle of next week and I can't afford to lose that money. Have been looking at the Erudio discussion over on Mumsnet, and there's someone on there who says that she recently applied to have her loan deferred but Erudio are claiming (surprise, surprise) that they 'don't have enough information' to process her request for deferment, although she says that she has sent them a copy of her annual tax return, which is what she always did when the loans were with the SLC. More and more I'm thinking that Erudio don't want to let anyone defer and will mess people about until the repayment date arrives, then just start taking the money. Perhaps this was the plan when Arrow Global bought the student loans portfolio for a fraction of its worth from the government- if they coerce everyone into repaying, they'll be making one hell of a profit.
  • edited 31 March 2014 at 1:59PM
    rizla_kingrizla_king Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2014 at 1:59PM
    Erudio are debt collectors, not a loan company, no matter how they try to dress themselves up. So you can expect them to use every underhand tactic they can think of and more.

Take them to the FOS if you have problems. http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • edited 31 March 2014 at 3:44PM
    mikedonmikedon Forumite
    5 Posts
    edited 31 March 2014 at 3:44PM
    has anyone actually got their loan deferred by erudio yet?

it is quite worrying that people are sending in their required evidence of gross income and being told it is not enough proof. what more do they want?

i got my form last week but only filled out some sections before coming across this thread. my deferment ends around 9th/10th may so i guess i have a wee bit of time before sending my application back.

the direct debit i had with the slc was for an old bank account with no money in it. if i dont provide erudio with an update to date direct debit will i be in breach?

another thing that concerns me is that last year i forgot to include interest on savings. it was only pennies and obviously had no affect on my threshold but if i include it this year (and i'm guessing i should!) can erudio turn around and say - "you breached your agreement with an omission last year. pay up in full please!" or can erudio only deal with this from new deferment applications?
    681 Posts
    ✭✭
    rizla_king wrote: »
    Erudio are debt collectors, not a loan company, no matter how they try to dress themselves up. So you can expect them to use every underhand tactic they can think of and more.

Take them to the FOS if you have problems.

I concure but you have to go through erudio's complaints procedure first, so i would immediately suggest everyone to do that by phoning them and getting it completed...it was relatively painless and they were even friendly enough dealing with it. Then we wait for up to 8 weeks for a response, with out deferment dates suspended until we complete the process (make sure that is clearly noted down by the operator before/after making the complaint).
  • Strictly speaking if you don't provide Erudio with current bank details you would be in breach, but they wouldn't know about it unless they tried to debit money from the account and couldn't get it. Of course if you're not earning enough to pay back the loan and are entitled to defer, they shouldn't even be trying to debit the account in the first place.

Where piddling amounts of interest are concerned, I'm not sure that should be included as income. After all, say you only get 2p of interest on your current account every 6 months, it's hardly a regular monthly income, is it? As for omissions made last year when the loans were still administered by the SLC, they're nothing to do with Erudio as there was no agreement with Erudio back then.

Like you, I would also be very interested to know if Erudio has actually agreed to anyone's deferment yet, as well as NOT taken money by direct debit. I'm not sure I trust them not to take the money regardless, even when they've agreed to defer.