Closed acc, passed to Debt agency, still paying 10 years on, do I have a claim?!

Options
Hi....

Basically I've no idea if I can claim, I've tried looking into it and just cant get my head around it so hoping one of you lovely lot can help/point me in the right direction. Heres the basic info.

Opened Natwest acc in 2003, in mid 04 I lost job, increased Overdraft to £1000 and from October 04 to April 2005 I'd used the OD, had bounced cheques, failed DD's and a total of £1100 bank charges (for the said cheques, dd's, card recovery, card missuse default notices etc) resulting in owing a total of £3830 (including monthly interest).

To be honest I buried my head in the clouds and ignored the demands/letters and whatever else they sent me.
The account was then sent to a debt recovery agency and I set up a payment plan of £20 a month which obviously I'm still paying, and will be for the next how ever many years!

I have contacted Natwest and just received bank statements for the entire period my account was open, so what I'm asking is, where do I go from here> Can I claim, do I even have a claim? I've looked at the templates on here but the finical hardship info confuses me, does that apply to then or now? Not that I'm in a no better situation now!

If I do have a claim, would I be better of using a company who knows what they are doing and can probably word it better than me!

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Historical bank charges from years ago are not recoverable. No company can help you do so. The Banks won their case on "unfair" Bank charges in 2009.
    Banks will only even consider requests for refunds from those in current financial hardship and only for recent charges.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2014 at 10:33AM
    Options
    kgc wrote: »
    Hi....

Basically I've no idea if I can claim, I've tried looking into it and just cant get my head around it so hoping one of you lovely lot can help/point me in the right direction. Heres the basic info.

Opened Natwest acc in 2003, in mid 04 I lost job, increased Overdraft to £1000 and from October 04 to April 2005 I'd used the OD, had bounced cheques, failed DD's and a total of £1100 bank charges (for the said cheques, dd's, card recovery, card missuse default notices etc) resulting in owing a total of £3830 (including monthly interest).

To be honest I buried my head in the clouds and ignored the demands/letters and whatever else they sent me.
    The account was then sent to a debt recovery agency and I set up a payment plan of £20 a month which obviously I'm still paying, and will be for the next how ever many years!

I have contacted Natwest and just received bank statements for the entire period my account was open, so what I'm asking is, where do I go from here> Can I claim, do I even have a claim? I've looked at the templates on here but the finical hardship info confuses me, does that apply to then or now? Not that I'm in a no better situation now!

If I do have a claim, would I be better of using a company who knows what they are doing and can probably word it better than me!

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you

So you lost your job in 2004, and borrowed a bit of money resulting in a debt of almost £4000 about 18 months later.

As a result you agreed a repayment plan of £20 a month.

You seem to have missed something out here. You lost your job, you couldn't cope for a while so borrowed money. What happened that meant you could then live within your means and afford to pay back £20 a month.

And now, in 2014, what is your position? Why are you still only paying back £20 a month?

If you want to clear your debts, I suggest you visit the Debt Free Wannabe Board, and post a full SoA there. - details in the important links sticky thread there.
  • frenchy1
    Options
    sorry to jump in on your thread but i was just wondering if anyone can help me i had £795 of bank charges on a closed bank account with llyods going back 6years ago can i claim them charges back if so what are the chances of actually getting the money?
  • frenchy1
    Options
    sorry not closed, it was unused
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    frenchy1 wrote: »
    going back 6years ago can i claim them charges back if so what are the chances of actually getting the money?
    The chances of getting a refund of historical bank charges are NIL.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure