Weekly Spend Challenge W/C 9th March 2014

edited 10 March 2014 at 6:11AM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
29 replies 2.7K views
EverTheOptimistEverTheOptimist Forumite
2.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 10 March 2014 at 6:11AM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
Hello everyone. Welcome to the Weekly Spend Challenge. This challenge is open to anybody, no matter what financial place they are in. Everyone is welcome here.

On this thread please post an amount of money you wish to stay below within the week (Sunday to end of working day on Friday). This can be pennies or thousands it depends on the individual. Then next Saturday report back and pledge for the following week. The challenge runs from Sunday to Friday so we don't include Saturdays but feel free to change the rules to suit you and include Saturdays or start on a different day.

Feel free to update this thread with daily spends if that keeps you on track. We colour code the results as below:

Green - within budget
Red - over budget
Purple - zero spend
Orange - made money over the week

This is a little bit of fun but for many it highlights the fact that maybe that magazine/chocolate bar isn't needed. Hopefully your spending habits can be changed forever.

Moozie was the founder of this challenge and here is a quote taken from her:

Originally Posted by Moozie:
"Good afternoon lovely DFWs Now for anyone looking in, please feel free to join - the more the merrier! Basically, decide on the amount you want to spend up to from Sunday until the end of the working day on Friday then pledge it here and off we go! The challenge is about incidental spending and not for stuff that should be budgeted elsewhere such as bills, groceries, debt repayment etc but you decide what to include at the end - this is about changing your habits and improving your recording of your spends more than anything else. Have a great week everyone and keep it low!!! Moozie x"

Good Luck Everyone

Link to last weeks thread

W/C 2nd March 2014 challengers / pledges / totals

EverTheOptimist - £25 / £13.67
Mrs Cheshire - £10 / £9.40

Sedge123 - £20 / £23.03
Cookie02 - £150 / £131
Bankruptanddealingwithit - £20
DD265 - £15 / ORANGE
Solong - £35
Munchin - £20/ £22.29
Elfy1807 - £10
Busymumofthreeplusdog - £60 / £59.15

W/C 9th March 2014 challengers / pledges / totals

EverTheOptimist - £10
Munchin - £35
Mrs Cheshire - £10
DD265 - £15
Sedge123 - £30
Cookie02 - £50
Busymumofthreeplusdog - £60
SPC 14 Target £200 /
Debt: £11850

Replies

• EverTheOptimistEverTheOptimist Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening everyone

Not really sure what budget to set as hubby is off and we have stuff to do and people to see!!!

Thinking of setting £10 just for absolute misc items and see how I get on. Anything we do as a family should come from the joint account anyway, but will try not to overspend through the week. Still need to set a budget and post to keep me from going mad with my pennies. :D
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
  • Sedge123Sedge123 Forumite
    597 Posts
    ✭✭
    I'm back in again this week. Am going to aim for £30 this week as have a meal out on Tuesday night with friends.
    Determined to save and not squander!
    On a mission to save money whilst renovating our new forever home
  • DD265DD265 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the new thread ETO!

I've got the usual veg shop to do this week but apart from that I want to keep it low key. Two reasons - I want to lose weight ergo no spending on munchies and also I've been saving up for an airbrush compressor (about £110). I am pretty much there with a £50 bid on an ebay auction ending tonight, but it's the left overs from my weekly budget that have also contributed, and I'd hate to get to the shop to find out that I am £2 short!
  • cookie02cookie02 Forumite
    112 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to put myself down for £50 this week please.

I am going to have more train ticket expenses this week (guessing £20). Other than that, I'm going to try and stick within £30 for everything else. I'm hoping for a NSD today. Beyond that, I have no plans for the entire week, except Sat and a friend's 'big' birthday (everything already bought though :)).
    Save 12k in 2021 #57
    Saving for Christmas 2021 #30
  • My week looks like this:

Monday- NSD
    Tuesday - taking DD to concert in the city. Using small car (£30 approx fuel), dinner(£20 - Chain pub type deal) will take drinks/snacks in car. Total £50
    Wednesday- £1.00 4 circuits class only, will be too tired to go anywhere during day!
    Thursday - lunch with friend, take turns to pay & it's not me this time:j so hopefully NSD
    Friday -NSD (I hope;))
    Saturday - NSD

Hmmm, ok will aim for £60 to allow for leeway.

Good luck everyone :D
    Busymumofthreeplusdog......
    ..............on a mission to curtail the spending and build up the savings
    2015 NSD total - 5
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone

First post updated to here.

Nice to have everyone back.

Sedge - enjoy your meal. :D

DD265 - good luck with the saving and nice result on the eBay item. :D

Cookie - good luck with nabbing some NSD's

Busymumofthreeplusdog - what concert are you having to endure? Or are you just taxi?

Well I didn't spend anything from my £10 yesterday but did do 2 big shops, sainsbugs and b00ts. (From joint account) hoping we now have enough food for couple of weeks bar fresh bits. Also picked up nappies, wipes and baby snacks.

Mon - getting nails done (budgeted) though car parking will be about 60p and then going for lunch today for my sister's birthday. (Joint acc)
    Tues - visit from mil
    Weds - baby group and pop to town to take a top back
    Thurs - going to local city centre as have joint Xmas vouchers to spend (poss include lunch)
    Fri - baby group and get some jobs done around the house
    Sat - family dinner for sis birthday. (Dad normally pays even though we are 30 odd and quite capable of paying for ourselves :D)
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
  • Sedge123Sedge123 Forumite
    597 Posts
    ✭✭
    Off the blocks this week, £5 sponsor money that I owed. Also bought a t shirt in the sale for eldest son but not counting that one as that's from the clothes budget and it's something I can put away for him.
    So £5/£30
    Determined to save and not squander!
    On a mission to save money whilst renovating our new forever home
  • edited 10 March 2014 at 10:19PM
    BusymumofthreeplusdogBusymumofthreeplusdog Forumite
    304 Posts
    edited 10 March 2014 at 10:19PM
    Morning everyone

Nice to have everyone back.

Busymumofthreeplusdog - what concert are you having to endure? Or are you just taxi?

:D)

I'm just taxi for "All time low" this time but have to endure "Fall out boy" at the end of the month, lucky, lucky me.........

I can report a NSD for today :T
    Busymumofthreeplusdog......
    ..............on a mission to curtail the spending and build up the savings
    2015 NSD total - 5
  • cookie02cookie02 Forumite
    112 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    It's official! Monday was a NSD for me too :j.

Have a great evening everyone!
    Save 12k in 2021 #57
    Saving for Christmas 2021 #30
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mon - getting nails done (budgeted) though car parking will be about 60p and then going for lunch today for my sister's birthday. (Joint acc) - 60p on car parking, £1 on choc for hubby and me.
    Tues - visit from mil
    Weds - baby group and pop to town to take a top back
    Thurs - going to local city centre as have joint Xmas vouchers to spend (poss include lunch)
    Fri - baby group and get some jobs done around the house
    Sat - family dinner for sis birthday. (Dad normally pays even though we are 30 odd and quite capable of paying for ourselves :D)

£1.60 / £10

I don't know if that's a good or bad thing Busymumofthreeplusdog or am I showing my age. :D
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs