Accidently got £100k

Options
I have re mortgaged my house to get £100,000 to buy another property. Unfortunately the sale fell through and now house prices have gone up I can't use it .I do have a flat rented out that could pay for mortgage which I own outright . I am loathe to give the 100k back it would cost £3000 to do that . What can i do with it to make something out of it, I will knock the mortgage down but i can only pay 10% extra each year

Comments

• sabretoothtigger
    Options
    There isnt anything similar in risk. Land and gold I'd rank equal in different strengths but I think most people would say you are bonkers to borrow against a house to invest in gold or even a clever mutual fund.

Theres lots of valid choices but no golden ticket, lots of good judgement required to gain income rates higher then you are paying.
    I dont think housing is an easy option but it is heavily backed by government and a familiar subject to anyone much.
    Hard to say similar knowledge of forex or other capital markets, it can be done but I cant say its best. The 3k hit is the most sensible route, I sympathise as I'd also be reluctant.
    If its not a fixed rate mortgage, next time you buy get one and call it opportunity cost
  • bunaruba
    Options
    It is fixed rate for 2 years at 2.49% Sabretoothtiger(Many thanks for your answer) I can't give it up I was thinking of spreading it across the field some in first direct premium bond an isa etc
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Could it be time for a truly impressive collection of circular direct debits to get the UKs besyt collection of interest paying current accounts? Round and round it goes...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure