Macbook Pro to HDTV

Options
Hi Guys, i want to play whatever i play on My Macbook Pro onto my HDTV. Now i know there are cables availble but the key thing im after is a cable or device that not only does the picture but sound also.

Ive seen mini ports and such and different HDMI cables but im unsure.

Links to products will be much appreciated.
Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.

Comments

• Handsome90
    Options
    The newer macs have a builtin HDMI port. Does your Mac have one? That's how I used to connect to TVs.
  • PHARR
    PHARR Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine does not. Mines pre 2010
  • securityguy
    Options
    PHARR wrote: »
    Hi Guys, i want to play whatever i play on My Macbook Pro onto my HDTV. Now i know there are cables availble but the key thing im after is a cable or device that not only does the picture but sound also.

Ive seen mini ports and such and different HDMI cables but im unsure.

Links to products will be much appreciated.

Thunderbolt to HDMI will carry audio.

You might have to tick the magic box in Settings to get system audio out over it.
  • PHARR
    PHARR Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thunderbolt to HDMI will carry audio.

You might have to tick the magic box in Settings to get system audio out over it.

Thank you! Just what im after.
  • double-slit
    double-slit Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I brought the lead adaptor from Amazon,
    Proxima Direct® Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter - for MacBook Pro Air iMac etc - With Audio Top Quality - Thunderbolt Compatible for 0.95pence what a bargain compared to the Apple store where you need oxygen with there prices.
    But My Mac Pro was about 2010, I had sound only through the laptop speakers. Apple forum have the FAQ.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 March 2014 at 11:42AM
    Options
    I have a MacBook Pro A1286 and version 8,2 (I got this info from 'About this Mac') and its around the same age as yours.

I often connect to an HDMI port on the TV with sound . I seem to remember that the sound wouldn't work through the TV at first and I had to go into the sound control panel and set the 'output' to HDMI. The option for HDMI appears when the Mac is connected to the TV.
    Once I had set it the first time the Mac now remembers the setting.

I got my adapter from ebay and although I can't see the exact details as its so long ago, I can see the following bit of the description
    "Thunderbolt Mini DisplayPort DP To HDMI Adapter Fr MacBoo"

Do you know if your Mac has a MiniDisplay Port and not a Mini-DVI port?
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My 5 year old macbook has a multi pin outlet and I have an adaptor that I can plug in a HDMI to HDMI lead. But the sound has a separate lead from headphone outlet on Macbook to audio in on the Toshiba TV. Works well.
    You can also get something like an Apple TV box which enables you to connect to the TV wirelessly.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you've got a mini Displayport (newer) it'll carry picture AND sound - get a mini Displayport to HDMI cable (less than £10 on Amazon).
    If you've got a mini DVI, that's older and picture only. You can get that to an HDMI too, but you'll also need either an analogue strereo, or optical digital minijack, for the Mac, to carry the sound. Optical is better if you've got an optical input to take it to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure