How do I learn about benefit rules?

Options
2»

Comments

• missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Child Poverty Action Group publish a number of books.
    The "Welfare Benefits and Tax credits" book sounds like what you mean.
    http://www.cpag.org.uk/bookshop/wbtch

Normal cost is £45 but £12 to "unwaged claimants of means-tested benefits"
    http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/discounts-claimants

ETA
    Might be worth checking if your local library has a copy.
    ohreally wrote: »
    As advised, get the CPAG book.

Another vote for CPAG's book. I used to have my own copy when I was working in DSS (as was) in the 1980s as it was so much better than the official stuff produced back then. Also came in handy for showing people who didn't believe what I told them. :)
  • osdset
    osdset Posts: 4,447 Forumite
    Options
    Just make a claim for JSA or ESA, you will become an expert in benefit rules in no time, a case of having to.
  • jetplane
    jetplane Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    David160 wrote: »
    I want to learn the benefit rules. Is there a good book or manual that gives a good and detailed examination of the rules about benefits. What is the name given to the actual regulations about benefit rules? How do the benefit employees know what the rules are? Do they have a manual? How do I get a copy?

It depends whether you want to know the basic benefit rules for yourself or whether you want to know the law for advising others. If by benefit employees you mean the DWP HMRC etc then they have guidance manuals which are interpreted from Social Security Legislation which includes Domestic and European Law.

As mentioned above CPAG Disability Rights UK publish books although they are regularly updated every couple of months. If it's for yourself then these books are a good reference and direct you to legislation. If you want the law then the Dwp.gov website has the law volumes. Justice.gov has Tribunal rules and commissioners decisions.

Google social security legislation and realise that even the law makers struggle to know or agree on the benefit rules.
    The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    David160 wrote: »
    job seekers allowance, employment support allowance, disability living allowance, severe disablement allowance, income support, housing benefit, council tax benefit, child tax credits, child benefit, working tax credit.

Council Tax Benefit was scrapped last year. Each local authority runs their own Local Council Tax Support scheme. There are hundreds of different schemes running each with their own rules.

As for Housing Benefit - here is a good start:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/housing-benefit-claims-processing-and-good-practice-for-local-authority-staff
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • missapril75
    Options
    Oh, CAB's website looks pretty good too.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • fluffymovie
    fluffymovie Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find myself intrigued! :)

As other posters have said, CPAG are excellent and in HB, we use the Shelter guide fed up and stressed mentioned as well as another much longer CPAG book which gives us all the regs and discussion on the past appeals etc.

As for how we learn the rules, there are a number of guidance manuals but the main way, is specific benefit training. There are a number of companies out there who will train you on aspects of the legislation but also, on the job training comes in very handy.

Rule of thumb, I allow my new starters 6 months training to be fairly able to deal with just HB and CTRS claims. 12 months to deal with more complex claims from people from abroad and self employed / director claims.

After 18 months I allow them to work on reconsiderations and appeals.

I have been in HB for 13 years so far and still finding new things out! Doesn't help when DWP change them on a whim but good luck in learning all the other benefits! :)
    I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.

All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My understanding is that there are over 50 different types of benefits, credits and allowances, many with complex relationships with each other.

Good luck with your endeavour....
  • missapril75
    Options
    BigAunty wrote: »
    My understanding is that there are over 50 different types of benefits, credits and allowances, many with complex relationships with each other.

Good luck with your endeavour....
    This is why something like the CPAG book is best. To be fair, DWP does produce some things that are also useful - vaguely recall an Income Support booklet, IS20.

But a DMG to someone not used to the sort of language used? Not a good idea. And way too big unless it's just a section that one wants to look at.

The handbooks are good for just dipping into or glancing through contents and taking your cue from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure