Royal Mail to increase stamp prices again – but you can beat the hikes

"The price of a first class stamp will rise 2p to 62p and second class by 3p to 53p, Royal Mail has announced..."
Read the full story:

Royal Mail to increase stamp prices again – but you can beat the hikes

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• AquamaniaAquamania Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've still got a stockpile of stamps I bulk purchased a couple of years back e.g. before when the 2nd class stamp went from 36p to 50p
  • dogmaryxxdogmaryxx Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you can stock up now for Christmas card sending at the end of the year and avoid paying more once price rises kick in.

You serious.
    Better to just drop a few people from Xmas list.
  • 10059221005922 Forumite
    174 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    I haven't sent a letter in years now so no bulk buying here, the only time I get in-coming letters is usually when I change my Direct Debit details other than that everything is done online
  • zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess this depends on the increase in special delivery prices. As I use stamps to pay for that. Would be good for me if the increase was less than the increase in stamp prices.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aquamania wrote: »
    I've still got a stockpile of stamps I bulk purchased a couple of years back e.g. before when the 2nd class stamp went from 36p to 50p

Same here. For weeks before the last increase, every time I went past the Post Office, I'd pop in and buy a few more books of stamps.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    dogmaryxx wrote: »
    You serious.
    Better to just drop a few people from Xmas list.
    It does seem odd advice. Even if you send 1000 Christmas cards the most you're saving is £30 and you have to invest £500 in stamps. With the weather we've been having they'll probably end up water damaged by Christmas;)
  • CoopdiviCoopdivi Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've still got a Penny Black. I'm going to make loadsamoney on this increase. :j
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zerog wrote: »
    Well I guess this depends on the increase in special delivery prices. As I use stamps to pay for that. Would be good for me if the increase was less than the increase in stamp prices.

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RM_OurPrices_Mar2014.pdf
  • MoneyMateMoneyMate Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to top up on 1st & 2nd Class stamps B4 the end of March :money:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • InAInA Forumite
    221 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Don't a few retailers (such as superdrug) discount stamps by 5% around Christmas time anyway?

The 5% discount would still be a better deal than stocking up before the increase. You can also buy books of stamps all year round on ebay for slightly less than face value (if you look out for them) and collect nectar points at the same time.

The steep increase (two years ago) was big news, but we're just talking pennies this time. Although pennies do make pounds this won't make much difference to most people.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals