Capital One - Interest Charges

Options
I had a Capital One CC which I opened 8yrs ago. I paid off the balance and closed my card over the phone. I have no paperwork to confirm this.

I recently checked my Credit Report and there is an outstanding debt of £308 with Capital One. I called them yesterday and they say that this is interest which as accumulated over the 8yrs as there was *2p* of interest on my acct when I called to close it.

So basically, a 2p interest fee is now a £308 bill!
I have never received any paperwork chasing the cost by post as I have moved since having the card.
However, my mobile phone and email address have remained the same but I have never been contacted.

Capital One are adamant that I have to pay this £308 bill. Can anyone assist please as to where I stand on this?

Thanks

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    A politely worded letter saying you believed the account to be closed and asking for them to confirm:

1. nothing is owing.
    2. the account has been closed.
    3. your credit record reflects nothing derogatory.

See what response you get. FOS if you're not happy after that.
  • iAMaLONDONER
    Options
    lisahud82 wrote: »
    I had a Capital One CC which I opened 8yrs ago. I paid off the balance and closed my card over the phone. I have no paperwork to confirm this.

I recently checked my Credit Report and there is an outstanding debt of £308 with Capital One. I called them yesterday and they say that this is interest which as accumulated over the 8yrs as there was *2p* of interest on my acct when I called to close it.

So basically, a 2p interest fee is now a £308 bill!
    I have never received any paperwork chasing the cost by post as I have moved since having the card.
    However, my mobile phone and email address have remained the same but I have never been contacted.

Capital One are adamant that I have to pay this £308 bill. Can anyone assist please as to where I stand on this?

Thanks

Wow! That's inflation busting interest!

I guess the 6 year limit might have passed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure