LHA v HB

Options
In my area the Social Housing provider is charging more than the LHA for the area. Will Housing Benefit still pay all the rent or could it be capped at the LHA rate?

Comments

• Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As far as I am aware, Housing Benefit for social housing is not capped at LHA rate, because usually SH is cheaper than a private let.

You local HB office will be able to confirm this, or advise.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Morglin wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, Housing Benefit for social housing is not capped at LHA rate, because usually SH is cheaper than a private let.

You local HB office will be able to confirm this, or advise.

That is correct. Another anomaly in the system that favours those in social housing.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to confirm that it doesn't apply if you pay your rent to a registered social housing association.

http://www.hackney.gov.uk/local-housing-allowance.htm#.UxCdB_l_s5s
  • wildwestfan
    Options
    Just seemed odd that Social housing is actually more expensive than renting privately. I went on rightmove and sure enough in his area he can rent for £10 a week less than his social housing rent. Looked decent places as well.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Actually, our HA rent here is very expensive, and we could find a private let at about the same amount, but we do have security of tenure here, like where we live, and lots of 'extras' like video entry phone, burglar alarm etc., and as we don't get HB anyway, it's as broad as it's long.

At one point, the idea was to bring SH rents up to 80% of private rates, but I don't know if that still applies.

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure