Switching bank accounts

Options
Hi.
I have my Halifax Current Account where my wages and direct debits are setup so I benefit from the £5 a month offer.
But I have maxed out my ISA for this year so would like to put some money into a regular savings account. Currently the best regular savings account seems to be from First Direct (6%) but you have to be a First Direct account holder - which I currently am not.
So my question is, would I be able to open up a First Direct current account and get them to transfer all of my direct debits (from Halifax) and get my wage paid into that account, but soon after transfer my wage from that account to the Halifax current account so that I still benefit from that account?
This way I would be able to open a First Direct Regular Savings account, benefit from the £100 switch offer First Direct offer, and still use my Halifax Current Account for the benefits associated with that account?

Thanks

Comments

• Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The 7 day switch requires that your old account be closed, so your plan won't work as it stands.

If you wanted to open a FD account and get the switching offer, the best bet for you is to open a new account with another bank, set up 2 direct debits on it, and then switch that account to FD. That might take more time though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure