Getting my 12 year old son to think of what job/career he want to do when he is older

Options
Good Morning

Whenever I have a chat with my son about what he wants to do when is older, he always says he wants to be a PE teacher. I know where he is coming from - he sees teachers going home at 4pm and having all these long holidays. However, you and I know that is not really the case.

How can I get my son to broaden his horizons and get to think of what other job/career paths to consider other than from being a teacher. Are there any helpful websites that you can suggest?

By the way, I have nothing against being a teacher. I admire the work they do and the pressure they are put under these days.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Much too early to be considering what career he wants. Only a very few people know this early. Some people never know! Leave him be!
  • geek84
    geek84 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I know it seems rather early, but the only thing he keeps on saying is that he wants to be a teacher when he grows up!
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    *dons hard hat and waits for all the comments from the teachers on this board!*

Surely you should be encouraging your son to do what he wants to do, to do what makes him happy? I truely can see nothing wrong with wanting to be a PE teacher. He'd be doing a worthwhile career, and keeping fit at the same time, what would you rather he do? Brain surgeon perhaps? At least the lad has some ambitions....you on the other hand, your attitude stinks. :(

When I was that age, I wanted to do everything from being a bus driver (don't ask!) to being a woodwork teacher....i didn't end up doing any of them, some people go through many different future career choices, especially when you are that age. But do you know what, my parents never tried to talk me out of anything, they'd have been proud of me whatever I chose to do, and that's what you should be of your son, proud that he's actually got some ambition, and proud that he doesn't just want to sit on his a*se all day.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 February 2014 at 10:40AM
    Options
    I hope he is not feeling any of this from you already.
    12 is far too young for lads of any size or apparent maturity to have any such plans hard-wired or required. His thinking is not going to freeze at this point.

His horizons will broaden from what he sees in practice about him, involving him, inviting him. What do you offer as a family to broaden these?

Celia Lashlie is excellent. You'll both enjoy 'He'll Be Ok: Growing Gorgeous Boys Into Good Men'.
    Hear/see more here:
    http://www.celialashlie.co.nz/
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good grief...he's only 12!!! At that age it's all about developing and broadening interests and skills. I'd just make sure he has plenty of opportunities to experience all sorts of things and give him chance to extend any areas of interest, such as joining hobby or sports clubs, day trips and visits, reading books, watching relevant TV programmes etc. Surely no-one seriously expects a 12 year old to have a career plan in place?
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    geek84 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

I know it seems rather early, but the only thing he keeps on saying is that he wants to be a teacher when he grows up!
    #######
    What a glorious thing to hear from a :T:json of 12!:j:T
    How good that he speaks and shares this with you.
    Well done that young man, not yet at the Kevin stage:D
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 February 2014 at 11:14AM
    Options
    geek84 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

That will chnage between now and some point in the future but if he still wants to be a PE teacher then good luck to him. You never know when hes older he might look at other oppurtunities wouldn't be a bad thing and go off the idea of a PE teacher.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Agree if that's what he says he wants to do - encourage him. My BF's son is at Uni to be a PE teacher, and my friend's son (now 18) wanted to do that for years (changed his mind now I think). Nowt wrong with that choice - although, as the others say, he'll probably change his mind a hundred times.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 February 2014 at 10:56AM
    Options
    He's 12. I think as long as he's studying in all subjects & getting results, you could relax a bit. If there is a persistent issue with attitude, or homework, then school will let you know & would appreciate you getting involved (make sure you see the reports!)

That he's into being fit & healthy & liking how that makes him feel is *wonderful* - rather than ask what he wants to be when he grows up, try maybe what books has he enjoyed reading this academic year?

Literacy is not only a blinking useful skill (and one that may need nudging in boys) but invites you into different worlds to try being a Dickensian chimney sweep, an orphaned magic user etc.

Another trick would be to discuss a possible family holiday & what would you need to take? (Fishing for an interest in foreign languages, even only semi-dormant!) At which point you either start looking for cheap deals, or you get one newspaper in the appropriate language & leave it around. The weather is usually pretty easy to decode & it's nice to see which teams are doing well. Then find the paper's website...

Finally I'm a fan of applied science. Why do we use vinegar to clean kettles? Why is that sodastream gas cylinder so heavy? (Why are the vintage fizz your own soda siphons thick walled?) The occasional fizzy vitamin C tablet is both healthy & intriguing, and the many sorts of invisible ink are also good fun.

This is mostly about reassuring yourself he's awake & alert in school, and that no matter *what* he wants to be this week, he doesn't have to decide til options & even those whilst indicative are not fatal.

Relax a bit & enjoy him! As twelve year old grow into teenagers & then you often really do have grounds to worry. Mostly, they survive, and then you have a young adult person to negotiate with. So hug the 12 year old & lay up happy memories all round.
  • stir_crazy
    stir_crazy Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2014 at 11:19AM
    Options
    There are various websites which can help pick a career based on your interests and/ or which areas you do well in. But, I seem to remember there was something similar when I was doing my standard grades at school (cough - 14 years ago- cough) where you entered the subjects you enjoyed and which you excelled in, then it gave you three career "recommendations". Funnily enough one of my top career recommendations was motorcycle courier - I ended up studying physics then mechanical engineering and now work in the oil and gas industry.

My point is, there are many ways to "help" your son pick out the career that he might seem more suited to on paper, but he'll decide the right path for himself when the time comes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure