Back dated Correction Factor bill

Hi all,

I'm with First Utility and have been happy with them up to now. I hadn't received a bill (online) for a couple of months and when I eventually got hold of someone they said that they were having issues with their system.

When I got my bill they had charged me additional costs for Correction Factor back dated to August 2013, which come to about an additional £200! Not what I expected and wiped out the savings I thought I was was making by switching to them.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is this normal and can they suddenly back date bills like this?

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, they can backdate up to a year if the billing is incorrect-though I'm unclear what the error is is this case.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2014 at 3:09PM
    . . . When I got my bill they had charged me additional costs for Correction Factor back dated to August 2013, which come to about an additional £200! Not what I expected and wiped out the savings I thought I was was making by switching to them.
    Could you give more details about this correction factor?

The only correction factor I am aware of on energy bills is the "Volume Correction Factor" used for gas conversions to kWh. This factor is the same for everyone at 1.02264 so there should be no room for error on that.

What can vary over time is the Calorific Value of the gas.

Could you give a bit more info?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    A calorific value correction cannot possibly account alone for a £200 surcharge. Differing CV's would make a few pence difference over a year, if that.
    So the OP needs to clarify what is meant by 'Correction Factor' in this case.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    A calorific value correction cannot possibly account alone for a £200 surcharge. Differing CV's would make a few pence difference over a year, if that. So the OP needs to clarify what is meant by 'Correction Factor' in this case.
    I thought that's what I had asked for.

Edit
    Yes, that's definitely what I'd asked for.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Correction!

Having taken another longer look at my bill, I can see what the correction factor does to calculate my bill. Not sure quite what's happened but all stemmed from them not billing for 3 months.

Thanks for all your replies. Think I'll be looking to move to someone else now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure