We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Berberis

Options
A bit of advice would be appreciated please as I'm clueless. I want to grow berberis in a decorative pot. As it is in a pot do I have to buy a dwarf variety or will any variety do? I want it to grow 3ft maximum.

I was going to get one from a garden centre but theres far more choice on Eb*y, so much choice I'm spoiled for choice.

Comments

• REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Careful! I don't know about growing it in a pot, but all the ones I've come across have wicked thorns!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's why I want it :D
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can perform any kind of torture you like on plants without fear of censure or punishment, hence the open existence of bonsai addicts.

Bearing in mind that some berberis grow to 10' or more, it's probably easier growing one of the smaller varieties in a pot, so that root pruning isn't necessary on a regular basis.

Something like 'Gold Edge' would be nice, unless you like the variegated types, which just look ill to me.

I would go for John Innes No3 as a potting mix, rather than multipurpose.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never thought about pruning the roots so yes, your right, a dwarf variety would probably be best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure