All I want is a free playlist of music.

Options
About a year ago, I deleted itunes deliberately (but can't remember why), and recently installed Spotify and although I found the webpage difficult to read, feint and small print, persevered. It was great to be able to conjure up songs/albums to have as a playlist whilst surfing. However I didn't know about adverts and found them quite annoying, so removed Spotify from laptop.

Because I know of nothing similar without ads, thought I would return to itunes. It seems that unless I've done something wrong, I have to register with apple and that means giving bank details which I don't want to do. Is this normal procedure now?

All I want to do, is seek out library music and have my own playlist to add to and delete when I choose, plus I would like to download my own cd's to include on this playlist. My guess is that it will be either one or the other, maybe someone will advise please.

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 February 2014 at 10:56AM
    Options
    get spotify premium, no ads etc

you can have your cd downloaded playlist on spotify(local files)

£9.99 a month

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Internet Radio would seem to be your answer, the only thing it won't give you is the ability to save the music and form a playlist that you can repeat.

From the sound of it, you just want some music, any music, as a background. Is this the case?

You can form your own playlist from your own CDs if you install iTunes again (which should be a free download). Are you being asked for payment details at the iTunes Store? You can use iTunes without going near the Store and spending any money....
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    4.99 a month for spotify unlimited.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Without seeing what you did OP I can only guess and say you did soemthing wrong regarding installing itunes. Ive downloaded it a while ago and at no stage was I asked for card details.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't need CC details to use iTunes. Get out of the store, into your Library, and don't worry about logging in. Import your CDs into your library, and make as many playlists, or even smart playlists, as you like.
    I THINK that you can have an iTunes account without CC details, which will allow you to get album artwork and track information, instead of having to type stuff in. Very handy.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I googled itunes and downloaded/installed it from the itunes website. Maybe I should investigate further.

DCFC79, yes I agree.
    almillar, you've summed up my needs.

Will report back, thanks again.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    grooveshark.com may give you what you want. It's on all day on my desktop...:cool:
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    Options
    I would recommend Google Play Music, even with the free version you can upload all your music then stream it on any Android device, or on a PC or Chromebook.

I've got the subscription All Access and I love it.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ideally I think Spotify would have been ideal, as I could use their library, but it was the ads that I didn't like. I wouldn't have minded a "one-off" payment, but I'm not commiting myself to a monthly fee at my time of life.

Following almillar's post, I did just that, got out of the store and created my own library, in fact two libraries, one for me and one for my wife. I've transferred several CD's and no doubt will delete a couple of songs/tunes. But, I remembered that each of us have a shuffle so we can replace what we have on them with our new selection. I will then borrow a few CD's from family to download on my laptop and add them to shuffle.

So, I reckon this concludes this. Thanks for help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure