We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Blight Question

Options
After my rather panicked pst the other day, I am pretty certain that almost my entire crop of potatoes has been affected by the blasted disease, almost all of 13 containers/bags. A huge blow for a first time veg grower.

What I want to know is what else can blight affect. I already know about tomatoes, as it appears that all my toms now have it. Thinking about it. The 4 plants I grew from seed have looked quite ill for sometime. I would not be suprised if they had it first and it affected my potatoes. Unfortunately the tumbling tom i rescued from a garden centre looks like it now has the saem fate, which I am very upset about as it is laden with fruit. I have been feeding it since the fruit started to swell as suggested. The leaves have the same tell tale brown/black spots and the plant has just wilted over the last 24 hours. Any suggestions as to how I can get the fruit to ripen quicker, or can I take off the rest of the foliage leaving the fruit? What else might be in danger? I have corn, leeks, onions, peas and beans, strawberries, sprouts, brocolli, garlic, sunflower, parsnip, carrot, cucumber and courgette.

Also (!), I have just 1 seed potato left, I just didn't have the room for it. If I wash the container well and put fresh compost in, can I start again or is it too late? I obviously won't do this until I have dug up all remaining containers and got rid of the compost.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Potato blight is airborne , and this warm wet weather is like heaven to it, it loves it, so little point in washing your one remaining seed spud, the blight will fall from the sky with the wind & rain

You could plant it out mid July for Christmas crop but 1 spud is not many:D

Blight will not affect crops other then spud / tom family

FWIW it is unlikely your seed toms started it, it comes in with the weather in summer, normally starts in south west and spreads across & up. The cold Scottish climate prevents it, which is why most seed spuds are grown in Scotland, they are blight free from birth

Your toms, you can only persevere, if the toms are large enough you could try & pick them green & ripen indoors, sometimes works but not always

Normal years we would spray to prevent but this years wet weather has caught many out, usually clear until about July time at the earliest
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure