🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Parcelforce "Awaiting Customs clearance"

Options
Anyone bought anything in from China recently, how long has it sat in customs?

Annoyed that it got from some place back and beyond in China to Coventry quicker than customs have been sat on it. Yes I know they get zillions of item but then they should have the resources in place to deal with them.

customs1.jpg

PS I do know I may have to pay charges, fair enough but it hasn't even got to that stage yet from the tracking. Its a small electronics item - not a kalashnikov packed in bubble wraps full of cocaine. :mad:
European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.

Comments

• When I ordered a camera from Hong kong, it sat in DHL's 'custome clearance' until I paid the extra duty

It might be worth giving them a ring
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    When I ordered a camera from Hong kong, it sat in DHL's 'custome clearance' until I paid the extra duty

It might be worth giving them a ring

Parcelforce or customs?
  • Try parcelforce first
  • campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    Options
    I've had stuff sit in customs for two weeks before, though last time it whizzed through in 36 hours.

Parcelforce won't be able to advise how long it takes to get through, they'll just tell you that you need to wait for it to clear.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had deliveries sit in customs for a week before.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    Last time I bother with an express courier then!! :(
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There's no real way of knowing if it is actually stuck before customs or after.
    I very rarely get items held up for a long time at customs and I'm never convinced it's a customs hold up when they do.
  • k2150
    k2150 Posts: 71 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2014 at 7:26AM
    Options
    I've ordered tablets, phones and other Android devices from China, Hong Kong, and Singapore and never had a problem to date. The online stores usually declare a lower value on the items they send out and so far I've not had an order stopped or held by UK customs for import duty. That may be just good luck there's always the chance that your package will be stopped. I've always paid extra for DHL or Fedex airmail delivery because it's faster, costs can vary but add about $10 for a phone or tablet and usually the package arrives in 10 - 15 days, my items are normally delivered a few days after they arrive at Heathrow. If you don't want to pay for DHL / Fedex choose Singapore Post or Hong Kong post, deliveries vary between 15 - 30 days, your worst choice would be free delivery via China Post which can leave your package stuck in a China warehouse for weeks before it ever gets loaded on a plane. These are my experiences, yours may be different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport