Help!

I have discovered a training opportunity that I really really want to do.
It is training to be an ABA tutor this is applied behaviour analysis working with children and possibly adults with autism.
It has apparently been a major breakthrough in the treatment of autism, it is used in America with great success but there are a lack of tutors in my area.
I would have to do a year of voluntary work whilst being trained.

I have to send a c.v and a covering letter and it also says to send either a crb or proof of my childcare qualification.

Well I haven't done a c.v for donkeys years, I have no idea what goes on a covering letter and I am wondering if I should get a crb done.

I am desperate to get on this course so any help appreciated.
Does everything have to be typed and printed?
Slightly worried about my employment gaps, my last work was 4 yrs ago and the woman I worked for is in a home with alzheimers so no chance of a reference there.
What can I do to improve my chances?

Oh and if anyone knows about the Aba any info would be great.
I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi OP,

Don't be afraid about doing a CV, yes it should be typed and printed, but it shouldn't be too hard to do, with a bit of guidance.

Is there a careers service near to you,that would be able to help you?
    In terms of a CSB check, yes if you want to do anything where children are involved, you will need one of these (an enhanced one, I'd imagine)

What did you do during the 4 years you have been out of work? If you have been a SAHM then this experience you can use.

In terms of a reference, they don't have to be work related, a personal one will do. Do you have any friends in professional positions that would be willing to be a referee?
  • Do you have Office installed? You can get CV and covering letter templates, I'm sure you can find plenty of examples on the web too.

Good luck getting on the course!
  • pukkamum
    pukkamum Posts: 3,942 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Don't be afraid about doing a CV, yes it should be typed and printed, but it shouldn't be too hard to do, with a bit of guidance.

Is there a careers service near to you,that would be able to help you?
    In terms of a CSB check, yes if you want to do anything where children are involved, you will need one of these (an enhanced one, I'd imagine)

What did you do during the 4 years you have been out of work? If you have been a SAHM then this experience you can use.

In terms of a reference, they don't have to be work related, a personal one will do. Do you have any friends in professional positions that would be willing to be a referee?

Thank you thats great info, yes I've been a sahm and knowing it doesn't have to be work related references is great.
    My best friends little girl has cerebal palsy and I often help out with her care so maybe that would be good to put on.
    As far as the covering letter goes what is expected on that? Do I talk about why I want to do the course and relevant experience or does that just go on the c.v?

Very nervous!
  • I think the covering letter is your chance to be enthusiastic, saying why you want to do the course and what you have to offer.

The CV is more factual, but tailor the info to be relevant to what they want/are looking for.

Don't forget, it's your personality and your uniqueness that are your best selling points. Usually a cv ends with a chance to expand a bit on 'you'. Give practical examples of the qualities they might be looking for e.g, don't just say your are patient and empathetic, give practical examples that demonstrate this.

Good luck - it is so exciting when you see a chance to do a dream job as well as nerve wracking.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • A covering letter is basically expanding on the information that's in your CV. As this is the first thing that they see it needs to stand out.

http://www.jobsite.co.uk/worklife/how-to-write-a-cover-letter-10765/ this is a good site that breaks it down well.

As far as the DBS (CRB) check goes, as far as I am aware you can't apply for this yourself, whoever it is that you're going to be working for/volunteering for has to do this.

I hope it goes well for you.
    :)smile :)
  • Vicky123
    Vicky123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why do you have to do a year of volutary work?
    Who is offering this position?
    Will you be working directly with a family or directly to a consultant?
    Be aware of Consultancy's offering ABA to families who are funded for therapists and tutors but advertise for volunteers, promise training and job opportunity afterwards but just employ another trainee instead.
  • sulkisu
    sulkisu Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2014 at 1:47PM
    pukkamum wrote: »
    I have discovered a training opportunity that I really really want to do.
    It is training to be an ABA tutor this is applied behaviour analysis working with children and possibly adults with autism.
    It has apparently been a major breakthrough in the treatment of autism, it is used in America with great success but there are a lack of tutors in my area.
    I would have to do a year of voluntary work whilst being trained.

I have to send a c.v and a covering letter and it also says to send either a crb or proof of my childcare qualification.

Well I haven't done a c.v for donkeys years, I have no idea what goes on a covering letter and I am wondering if I should get a crb done.

I am desperate to get on this course so any help appreciated.
    Does everything have to be typed and printed?
    Slightly worried about my employment gaps, my last work was 4 yrs ago and the woman I worked for is in a home with alzheimers so no chance of a reference there.
    What can I do to improve my chances?

Oh and if anyone knows about the Aba any info would be great.

ABA appears to be widely accepted in America, but is more controversial here. Saw a programme about it a few months ago, and apprently LA funding for ABA is very hard for parents to get, leaving many to fund it privately. You should probably investigate that side of it, as that might affect opportunities to use the certificate once you have obtained it.
    Posters on the ASD thread will no doubt have more information about ABA.
  • You cannot apply for a DBS/CRB check on yourself and any organisation worth its salt would want to receive the report from a trusted source otherwise you could have just changed it yourself if you have a past history of doing wrong things.
  • pukkamum
    Vicky123 wrote: »
    Why do you have to do a year of volutary work?
    Who is offering this position?
    Will you be working directly with a family or directly to a consultant?
    Be aware of Consultancy's offering ABA to families who are funded for therapists and tutors but advertise for volunteers, promise training and job opportunity afterwards but just employ another trainee instead.

I don't have the full information yet, I've messaged the woman expressing my interest and asking for more details.
    I don't pay anything to do the training and I think it may be £5 per hour expenses whilst volunteering.
    To be honest I would enjoy the volunteering anyway, I miss working with special needs children and would do it even if it didn't lead to job.
    They don't promise a job afterwards as far as I can see once you've completed the training you would then be self employed.
  • pukkamum
    sulkisu wrote: »
    ABA appears to be widely accepted in America, but is more controversial here. Saw a programme about it a few months ago, and apprently LA funding for ABA is very hard for parents to get, leaving many to fund it privately. You should probably investigate that side of it, as that might affect opportunities to use the certificate once you have obtained it.
    Posters on the ASD thread will no doubt have more information about ABA.

Very Interesting thanks for that information, I had only read about the positives so will look into the controversy too, as I just posted getting a job afterwards isn't my main motivation I can get a job in a school with the qualifications I already have so see this more as personal development.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure