Credit Card for a Student

Options
Hi, I'm new to this forum so please excuse any posting mistakes.
I wonder if anyone has any idea what credit card would be suitable for a student who just wants it for the extra protection (over a debit card) when shopping online. It doesn't need to have a high limit or anything.
I got thinking about it when I was in the Bank of Scotland (where my accounts are) and they suggested that I might want one, I said no at the time but since then I thought it might be quite a good idea. Is theirs any good for instance?
Thanks for any help.

Comments

• influence
    influence Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    I think a credit card is good for those who has the discipline on money. I, for one, have two credit card when I was a student. I am not a big spender. Rather I can better manage my money and leave my money in my account for whatsoever reasons (interest in most cases). I practically pay for everything using my credit card except rent and it can mount up to a couple of hundreds a month.

I think having a credit card with your current bank is ok. There are also some cards with cashback which might be good for you as well. Every tiny saving helps. I am not sure about the requirements for applying those card as a student though.

Of course, credit card is 'more safe' for online shopping and ebay. I think it also gives you access to clubs easier (no promise) as an identification of age if you don't carry your ID ard.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    your first port of call should be your own bank.

your're unlikely to get a cash back as a first card.

In any event, set up a Direct Debit for the full amount so you never have to pay those high APRs.
  • ScottishSaver_3
    Options
    Thanks to both of you. Sounds like I probably would be as well to get one through the bank since it sounds like I probably wouldn't get one with any cashback or other bonus things at my age, I would be paying it off right away anyway so a direct debit sound like the best plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure