We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

growing basil

Options
harrys_nan
harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 25 February 2014 at 2:42PM in Gardening
I just cannot seem to grow Basil from seed.
I use seed compost, fresh seed purchased a couple of weeks ago. The pot is on my kitchen window sill, it's light but not sunny this time of the year.
I don't have a problem with flower seeds, so can anyone explain what I may be doing wrong?
I have a couple of shoots come up, but then they just die
Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted

Comments

• wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    I grew basil last summer and it took ages to germinate.
  • trollopscarletwoman
    Options
    harrys_nan wrote: »
    I just cannot seem to grow Basil from seed.
    I use seed compost, fresh seed purchased a couple of weeks ago. The pot is on my kitchen window sill, it's light but not sunny this time of the year.
    I don't have a problem with flower seeds, so can anyone explain what I may be doing wrong?
    I have a couple of shoots come up, but then they just die

Can't honestly say what's going wrong there but I start mine off in heated/unheated propagators. Failing that a clear sandwich bag just to add a little more heat on the windowsill.

I'm MSE (in other words mean) as I don't have the heating on much.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lack of sun I'd have thought. I've only ever grown it in summer.
  • JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's probably too cold at the moment, I've never had any luck with sowing basil seeds in February, I would say mid March at the earliest.
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Always water from the base to avoid stem rot. I don't have a lot of luck with Basil, but when I get the one pot out of 6 that takes - it goes mad.
    Then I tend to freeze leaves - whole in a small pot, like a Philadelphia cheese pot, and just keep adding to it as I harvest.
  • safestored4
    Options
    I don't claim to be an expert but have no trouble growing Basil from seed on our South facing kitchen windowsill.

Just fill a pot with compost, water and allow to drain. Then sprinkle the seed on top of the compost. Do not cover the seed with additional compost. Cover the top of the pot with clingfilm held on by an elastic band round the edges. Pop it in a warm sunny place and do nothing until the seed germinates 5 or 6 days later. Allow to grow on for a couple of days then remove the cling film and grow on as normal. If you have sown the seed too thickly clumps can be removed and potted on once they are big enough to handle.

This works for me, I have just removed the cling film from the first of this years pots.
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just planted some in a pot today. It is on my kitchen window ledge which gets the sun from afternoon through the evening (when it is there at all!). I will be inspecting it every day and if it takes, I will be starting coriander and maybe some other herbs.
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, I have just sown some more and put it in a sunny windowsill in a windowsill propagator, I hope this attempt works.
    The weather isn't cold here in Devon so I don't think that's the problem as I cant grow it in the summer either.:)
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure