New to savings and shares

Hello everyone

i dont earn alot right now as i am going to be going to uni at the age of 25 and just have a part time job at the moment where i get around 44 hours aweek over the summer till i start studying at my uni.

but i still want to invest a small amount of my earnings in to shares and get it growing, i have just started putting £50 every 4 weeks into a natwest ISA. but i want to start using shares as well.

any advice please would be great

Thanks

Replies

• jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO bad move unless you can leave it (or afford to lose it completely) for at least 5 years.
    What will you live on when at Uni?
  • whitlogwhitlog Forumite
    3 Posts
    well i am appyling for student finance while i study, but i will also still work at my part time job, just less hours, but i have come to the thinking that no matter what i earn i can afford to atleast use 10% of it for savings or shares etc.

i do not want to invest heavy and try get rich quick etc, my plan is to invest what i can and have it grow over time
  • I would advise that you build up savings equivalent to 3 - 6 months money to live on. This incase things go pear shaped.

Once you have done that, you can start investing in shares.

Good luck with the course! I also applaud your resolve to save 10% of your earnings.
    If you are at a poker game and you cannot figure out who is the patsy then guess what...you're the patsy - Warren Buffet
  • whitlogwhitlog Forumite
    3 Posts
    thank you for the advice :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides