We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

BMW Used Approved car - peeling paint

Options
I bought an 'Approved Used Car' from my local BMW dealership in October last year (about 4 months ago) and I have noticed recently that the paint is peeling on both the front and rear bumpers. It is getting progressively worse and is now very noticeable and significant. It will almost certainly need respraying which will no doubt cost hundreds.

I have written a letter to the dealership which I am going to send tomorrow. However I just wanted to know whether this would be covered under the Sale of Goods Act 1979?

I noticed some small areas near the rear wheel arch shortly after my purchase however it wasn't serious enough to cause a hassle. It is now about the size of the palm of my hand and there are three separate areas in total - two on the front bumper and one on the rear wheel arch.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would suggest you speak to the dealer informally first rather than sending a letter.

Of course, if that doesn't work then send a letter.

I have found it's usually best to be nice at first rather than writing letters about rights.

Your question about SoGA... all sales are covered by SoGA.

I guess you mean "is the dealer responsible for the repair under SoGA?"
    The answer to that depends upon whether the fault is inherent or not.

You are in a better position up to six months after the sale, because during that time it is for the seller to prove that the fault is not inherent.

Have a read of MSE's Consumer Rights guide for further details.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport