Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

Lower ground flat-living room has no windows!!!

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Lower ground flat-living room has no windows!!!

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
15 replies 5.2K views
sterl1ngsterl1ng Forumite
609 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Has anyone owned a flat where the living room has no windows? This flat is in a great location however lack of light in living room (EA had lights on during a 1pm open house yesterday!) is making me wonder how to solve that issue and work around it as the location really is spectacular

Replies

• BitterAndTwistedBitterAndTwisted Forumite
    22.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suitable for troglodytes only. Rent this if you'd be happy living in hole on the ground. Which is what you will be doing. It's not a "lower ground" flat, it's a basement and not suitable for habitation.

The only way to "solve the issue" of no natural light is to to use artificial light. Perhaps those full-spectrum bulbs would stop you getting depressed or going completely mad.
  • Zoology_DragonZoology_Dragon Forumite
    444 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I don't think there's much you can do. We live in a basement flat and the living room is below street level, it has windows but not much natural light gets in. It does bother me but we needed to rent somewhere cheap.
  • Hmmm I think it'd probably drive me mad too, a pity as good location
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    41.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything is cheap for a reason.

I would also worry about damp issues if there is no window....and odour release ....and fire escapes...and flooding!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the natural light like in the other rooms? Could you rearrange the layout so that rooms you use during the daytime are the ones with windows, and the ones without become bedrooms?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • phill99phill99 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a flat, it's a dungeon! Ideal for the Miss Whiplash brigade!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • My living room doesn't have a direct window. We did an extension starting where the window was, and although there is a roof lantern in the next room the main area doesn't have an actual window.

We have lots is down lights in the central area, and they give a lovely bright natural feeling light. I'd rather it have a window, but the room can be improved by clever lighting.

My 2 bed basement 'hole' is worth just under a million quid, so I wouldn't discount it just cause it's a basement!
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    time2deal wrote: »

My 2 bed basement 'hole' is worth just under a million quid, so I wouldn't discount it just cause it's a basement!

To be honest, if I had just under a million quid, a basement flat would be the last thing I'd buy!
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • I viewed an apartment that was built into a cave a few years ago. The bedrooms, study and kitchen were all to front, with lounge and bathroom to rear, but bathroom had a window to side. The kitchen was drop dead gorgeous, and I'd have taken it on the spot was it not that I was expecting first lo at the time. It's just different strokes for different folks and all that. X
  • I did think to rejig the flat so living room and bedroom swap but issue with that is bedroom not as big and the bathroom is right next to bedroom (almost like an ensuite set up) so that wouldn't be great. I don't like the idea of keeping lights on during day and really having thought about it more decided to opt out in end and keep on wth my search.

Shame though as area was amazing.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support