🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Breach of Contract?

Options
Hi all,

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place, please move it if so :)

Anyway,

I recently recieved by February bill from Utility Warehouse (for my Gas, Electric, Landline and Internet), however I've noticed that I am now being charged for geographical calls, checked my January bill, same thing, checked December, that's correct (geographical calls free).
Now when I signed up it was advertised FREE anytime calls to UK landlines and I haven't received any notification of change to how I am billed for calls.
UW have since changed their website to show that the "Free" calls are evening and weekend only.
Am I correct in presuming that they are in breach of contact as they didn't notify me that they were changing the call charges?
If so, what recourse could I have against them?

Kind Regards
Rich

Comments

• halibut2209
    Options
    Are these calls over an hour long?
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • methecooldude
    Options
    Are these calls over an hour long?
    Nope, none. The worst on the Feb bill is 10 minutes :rotfl:
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,563 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    do you have any written confirmation from when you signed up to confirm it was anytime calls?
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    There is no contract breach. This is a billing issue, which is governed by the Tariff. Details of this will be published in their Price List, which will be published (usually) on their website. This is an OFCOM requirement of their licence.

The codes that are deemed 'geographic' will be defined. It is not safe to assume all numbers commencing 01, 02 & 03 will be included as there are a number of NNGs (National Numbering Group) codes that start 01, but will be chargeable - notably those in other non UK territories a IoM, Guernsey & Jersey, for example.

Look up the price list and check the code for the disputed number, if the PL says it is included, you have been overcharged, however as I suspect, you dialled an overseas territory 01 number, their charges will be justified, and correct.
  • methecooldude
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    do you have any written confirmation from when you signed up to confirm it was anytime calls?

Not written per-se, but it is in their booklet received when signed up
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    was the free anytime calls a limited time offer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills