🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Post knitting patterns on FB

Options
Am I allowed to copy knitting patterns and put them on my Facebook craft group please

Comments

• ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    You really need to ask permission from whom they belong to
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Money-Saving-King
    Options
    I would have thought you'd be ok providing you link to where you found it.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Most craft patterns state they are not for redistribution, what you propose would breach this.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you mean so that the Facebook members could then knit that pattern? If so, that would be a breach of copyright. I can't see many designers being happy that people are using their pattern and they are not making any money from this.
  • PlymouthMaid
    Options
    As above, you would be breaching copyright. If the patterns are on Ravelry, you could post a link to them but if they are ones you have in your private collection then definitely not unless you created them or the original designer gives you permission.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • Pposickle
    Options
    OK thanks for your replies, better leave it
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 564 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Pposickle wrote: »
    OK thanks for your replies, better leave it

Further to the above: Anything you upload to FaceBook, you grant them the right to use, abuse, re-licence, and generally do whatever with. It's in the T&C.

Granted, they probably won't do it, but they could.

This means that they could choose to distribute "your" knitting pattern beyond what you intended. And worse, when the real copyright owner comes after FaceBook, they will point at you and say -- "Pposickle told us we could do it".

I'm guessing there are terms in FaceBook's T&C that also say you indemnify them against all costs arising from the stuff you do. That could be a big number!

You don't want to be on the wrong end of that!
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    Also, you'd probably be banned from Facebook if you were found to be sharing copyrighted material.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport