We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Ripped off by painter

Options
:mad: To cut the story short.......employed a painter to paint my house before I put it on the market which he did and charged £950 which I paid in full. Upon completion he advised that the sills needed tidying stating it would be a quick job and quoted £50. As he had been decent up to then I paid him for the job and from then on he has made excuse after excuse for not doing it culminating in house selling without it done!

Have asked him for the £50 back and he stated he would bring it round 3 times which he hasn't and finally yesterday said he'd "drop off a cheque" tonight which he hasn't!

He is a bare faced liar and its now not even the £50 its the principal of the matter. :mad:

Any ideas of what I might do? Small claims court not worth it but would really like to make sure the schiester doesn't do it to anyone else!

Comments

• wishiwasarichgirl
    Options
    do you know where he lives? i'd "pop round" for it
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• WoodyWoodpecker
    Options
    do you know where he lives? i'd "pop round" for it

Yes I know where he lives just wish it didn't have to come to that as paid him in good faith as have been brought up to do the right thing.

Just really annoyed :(
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd just turn up to get it, and if he makes excuses, give him 48 hours and explain that if he doesn't pay you'll take the legal route where he'll then have to pay costs too.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • WoodyWoodpecker
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    I'd just turn up to get it, and if he makes excuses, give him 48 hours and explain that if he doesn't pay you'll take the legal route where he'll then have to pay costs too.

I know looks like I might have to :( Not a confrontational person but this guy has got me annoyed :mad:
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Give him some notice - a text message saying you will be around at 7pm next Tuesday to collect the £50 as you don't want to inconvenience him. Then if he doesn't pay or won't open the door you know you will have to take it further.

Then file a claim on the small claims track in the county court.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport