Tales from the city

Options

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fantastic :T:T:T:T
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10789.83/£15000 (71.9% saved). Emergency fund - £1525.51/£2000 (76.3% saved).
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Amazingly good. Well done you.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you, lovelies!!

Small party required. :beer:_party_:dance::beer:_party_:dance:

:Dxxx
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The housing rental market in my city is quite unstable just now and prices have been falling for some time. I didn't mention it on here, but this time last year I negotiated a £200 per month reduction in rent for me and OH. :j I did another check last night and believe we are due another £100 reduction. I've emailed the leasing agent about this. They'll need to speak to the owner and I guess we'll hear back in a week or two.

I'm feeling all assertive. :D
  • misstara
    Options
    That would be amazing, hope you get the reduction :D
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10789.83/£15000 (71.9% saved). Emergency fund - £1525.51/£2000 (76.3% saved).
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    misstara wrote: »
    That would be amazing, hope you get the reduction :D

Thanks misstara, you know what it's like here, the property market has just dropped in value wildly, I might as well make the most of it, any chance you could do the same?

I have done some quick sums and realise that if this rent reduction comes through, then I will be debt free 2 months sooner than expected, so February next year. Which would mean I'm in my final year of debt repayment RIGHT NOW!!

Need to not get ahead of myself though. Just waiting to hear. :)
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, fabulous! I hope the negotiation works well.

(First time I've ever heard of being able to negotiate rent downwards, clearly I've only been renting in expensive places and/or from greedy landlords.)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

(First time I've ever heard of being able to negotiate rent downwards, clearly I've only been renting in expensive places and/or from greedy landlords.)

It's a very unusual situation hiddenshadow and when I first emailed the leasing agent last year, I thought 'there is no WAY they are going to reduce the rent'. However, similar flats being advertised in our block were clearly going for £200 less than we were paying so we were getting quite annoyed about that and more than ready to move. We wouldn't even have needed a van, could just have moved it all in the lift with the help of a friend or two. However, the owner saw sense, even though he sounded a bit shocked that we had asked, and reduced the rent. He has no option. If he sells his flat now he will lose 10s of thousands. I've been on rightmove to see what he paid for it, haha.

To explain a bit further, I've pm-ed you. ;)
  • misstara
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    Thanks misstara, you know what it's like here, the property market has just dropped in value wildly, I might as well make the most of it, any chance you could do the same?

If we were still in a private let, I'd definitely be doing the same. However since we got our new flat, our rent has almost halved which is fab and unfortunately I don't think the council negotiate on rent :rotfl: Fingers crossed for you.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got an email yesterday from the leasing agent, confirming my request and asking for clarification about how much I was prepared to pay. Now I just have to wait. We're very lucky with our leasing agent, most of them are dreadful but ours are always helpful. I like that. :)

I still have my expensive thing advertised and am beginning to realise I need to use a different tactic and advertise somewhere else. I'll do another search online and see if I can find a shop that might buy it. It sits here gathering dust and I could really use the cash.

Me and OH are away this weekend, paid for in advance, visiting future inlaws. We're travelling by megabus to save money. Let's hope it runs on time.

Other than that, there is not much happening on the money saving front. We have just about managed to stay in budget this month although I did not manage the overpayments I'd hope for. Ah well. No harm in trying anyway. I have some study leave coming up and to be honest, I'm exhausted and need a rest. It will be nice to not have to get up and go into work every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure