🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Deciding not to pay for eBay items advice?

Options
The_Offside_Rule
The_Offside_Rule Posts: 91 Forumite
edited 22 February 2014 at 12:07PM in Consumer rights
Good morning all,

I have been using eBay fairly regularly for the past few years with no problem at all. I have experience in both buying & selling.

I 'won' two items from the same seller on the 12th of February and before the auctions ended, I got in touch with them to ask them to combine postage. They said they would go to the post office the next morning and check the exact cost.

I was fine with that but they did not get back to me. Two days later I messaged them again for an update. No reply. I basically messaged every two days for an update and last night I received a message from them that the best they can do is take 50p off the cost of postage.

The items are two pairs of jeans and the eBayer originally wanted £9 postage. I advised that the cost of sending these items (including packaging) would be around the £5.50 mark. I know this to be fairly accurate.

The reply I then received was very rude.
I no longer wish to pay for these items due to the length of time I had to wait for the reply, his/her general attitude and the fact that I feel that they are trying to con me with the postage.

If I was about to purchase an item in a high street shop and the assistant has a bad attitude, I would simply leave the item there.

However, I don't want repercussions from eBay.

What will happen if I don't pay? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    post this on the ebay thread
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Nothing much will happen tbh, you will get a little black mark but not a lot else.

You are however in the wrong and everything that is wrong with ebay, buyers like you are the reason I don't use ebay anymore, you knew the price you had to pay.

The time for discussion about postage is before the auction ends not after, pay up.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You will get two non paying buyer strikes and be banned from ebay.

so it depends if you want to use ebay again...

just pay then leave a low star rating for postage if you feel it's excessive.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • The_Offside_Rule
    Options
    Bris, please only reply when you have actually read my post.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rdf1988 wrote: »
    Bris, please only reply when you have actually read my post.

What are you basing the £5.50 on?
    The seller wanted £9
    you are saying its £3.50 less. If its a medium parcel then you are looknig at about £5.65 excluding packaging
  • custardy
    Options
    It is two pairs of jeans. I sold two suit trousers last month and second class postage was £4.50. I had wrapping already but I had to buy a scissors from the pound shop because I had lost my other one.

I don't mind a fluctuation in postage costs up to £1 but when people take advantage of the postage, it makes eBay not such a good place for bargains after all.

I'd love to have these items but principle is coming into play really. I've always been very straight when I've sold things.

So you dont know how the seller is packaging them? So you may have a seller who paid out for packaging.
    So £5.60 odds plus packaging could be £9 to them
  • The_Offside_Rule
    Options
    £9 for second class postage is not reasonable at all. The fact also remains that the person came back after a week to say that the post office worked it out as 50p cheaper than originally stated.
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe they are spending more on postage because they want some insurance that it'll arrive.
  • custardy
    Options
    £9 for second class postage is not reasonable at all. The fact also remains that the person came back after a week to say that the post office worked it out as 50p cheaper than originally stated.

So now you are saying its 2nd class postage?
    Are you drip feeding information on purpose.
    once more,do you know how they are being packaged?
    Tell you what,I think its simpler if you just do what you like.
    Nobody's answers or questions will be good enough for you it seems.
  • VictorCharlie
    Options
    seconds before the auctions ended, I got in touch with them to ask them to combine postage.

Sorry but that just isn't good enough. You should have asked long before you bid and if you weren't sure, you should not have bid.

eBay could do without buyers like you.

Pay the postage you agreed to pay when you bid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport